Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > General Fandom Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/07/14, 10:58 PM   #1
Digificwriter
Putty Patroller

Default Why do people in the fandom like SPD?

^ No-one in this fandom should like S.P.D.; it's the single-worst season the franchise has given us (and, yes, this includes Samurai and Megaforce, which, for all of their problems, don't have nearly the same amount of truly insurmountable issues that S.P.D. does).

If you're going to say that S.P.D. is in the Top 3 seasons of this franchise, you lose all credibility, particularly when it comes to decrying stuff that is perceived to be so much worse.

The way this fandom behaves vis a vis certain installments of the franchise is completely messed-up, and has been for a long time. Truly disastrous seasons like S.P.D. get praised, while seasons like Samurai, Megaforce, Overdrive, and even Wild Force - which do have problems but are not nearly as rife with issues as perception says that they are - get decried as the worst thing(s) to ever happen to the franchise in its 20-year history.
Digificwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/15, 02:58 AM   #2
RangerGirl94
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Why do people in the fandom like SPD?

I wouldn't say it was the best season but I still loved watching it for what it was, a Power Ranger show. It's not as bad as you're putting it out to be.
RangerGirl94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/15, 11:38 AM   #3
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digificwriter View Post
^ No-one in this fandom should like S.P.D.; it's the single-worst season the franchise has given us (and, yes, this includes Samurai and Megaforce, which, for all of their problems, don't have nearly the same amount of truly insurmountable issues that S.P.D. does).

If you're going to say that S.P.D. is in the Top 3 seasons of this franchise, you lose all credibility, particularly when it comes to decrying stuff that is perceived to be so much worse.
I agree and disagree with some of your points.
People have the right to enjoy and like whatever they do like just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it isn't GOOD to THEM which is what matters. You don't get to decide what's good for others you only decide that for YOURSELF.

Also on top of that people can't lose credibility for enjoying S.P.D. so much that it's one of their 3 favorite seasons... again just because you hate it doesn't mean others will and you can't decide that for others.

I personally don't like Samurai much like the majority of the fandom does but it's not because of what other people in the fandom that made me hate it the reason is because most of the season was dull and boring and they treated some of the characters such as Lauren like crap.

Some things in S.P.D. were good but there were other things that were especially bad. They were inconsistent with their characters, they were inconsistent with injuries and on top of all of that they didn't explain anything with Mora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digificwriter View Post
^
The way this fandom behaves vis a vis certain installments of the franchise is completely messed-up, and has been for a long time. Truly disastrous seasons like S.P.D. get praised, while seasons like Samurai, Megaforce, Overdrive, and even Wild Force - which do have problems but are not nearly as rife with issues as perception says that they are - get decried as the worst thing(s) to ever happen to the franchise in its 20-year history.
That's the fandom though and that is how they're going to behave which is something that YOU yourself can't control... as long as they're not hurting anyone physically then there's nothing wrong with it... and as long as someone is not using it to insult or bully someone with it then there's nothing wrong with it.

Some fans like S.P.D. and if you don't then that's your opinion. Opinions are opinions and you can only change yours you need you learn to respect that.
Even Mystic Force has its issues... yes it's a season that I've enjoyed for other reasons but I don't hate it just because it was a Nick-focused season and they pretty much shafted any focus episodes for Madison.

Wild Force also has its issues and it's actually one of my favorite seasons even with those issues there. One of my main issues with it is because Taylor matured too quickly she went from being a jerk to being soft way too quick but I don't hate the season at all even because of that. Forever Red also had its own issues as well one of which is the bad use of Serpentera but I don't hate Forever Red because of it since it's still a good episode.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/15, 02:17 PM   #4
Calamity Kimberly
Ranger In Training

I though SPD was pretty cool. The sets were amazing. Gruumm was a scary villain. The Rangers were all pretty cool and Cruger was a good mentor. The concept for the season was pretty ambitious.
Calamity Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/15, 02:52 PM   #5
MattEmily
Administrator

I thought SPD was a decent season. Not the best but it was decent. I wasn't a fan of Gruumm or the whole Mora/Morgana thing. The SPD Base was awesome though.
Despite his flaws I also felt Cruger was a pretty good Mentor.
Also it features one of my favorite Megazords - the Delta Command Megazord.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/15, 10:12 AM   #6
Mr. CD
Ranger In Training

It had a talented cast of actors and gave off the illusion of having a big budget-like feel, which I always thought were silly reasons for liking a season. The funny thing is, SPD was pretty hated after it finish airing, but then Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive came along and suddenly fandom goes "Ok, I guess you're not that bad." Such is fandom life, no matter how bad you think a season is, another one that's even worse can prove you wrong.
Mr. CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/15, 10:33 AM   #7
PRangerX
Administrator

Thats happened a lot actually. I remember Lightspeed being almost univerally hated.. But now its not considered a bad season..

Its.funny since some people acted like SPD was an atrocity and the worst season ever. Are there things that could have been better? Sure... But I don't think it was anywhere close to that bad. Plus the imagination of the show was at its best until we saw the world created for RPM.

I think people have high expectations and get disapointed. Sometimess when you go back and watch a season objectively it is more enjoyable than the first time.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/15, 01:58 PM   #8
Red Buster
Putty Patroller

Why do people in the fandom like OP think their opinions constitute facts? Don't like SPD? That's fine. Doesn't mean other people can't enjoy it, or are wrong for enjoying it.
Red Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/15, 02:06 PM   #9
Captain Codfish
Power Ranger

Agreed, opinions and facts aren't exclusive. Whether you like a season or not can be very objective. If we all agreed on everything there would be nothing to talk about it. Debate the merits of the season. But don't act like no one can like what you don't. Explain why you dislike it instead.
Captain Codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/15, 03:59 PM   #10
The Ghost Ranger
Power Ranger

I always liked the idea as Rangers as a police force, and SPD delivered on that. Sure the writing needed some work, how many times did they have to learn to work as a team? But overall the show itself was good, way better then Mystic Force.
The Ghost Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply