Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #1
Midori Kou
Putty Patroller

Default Arguing about Magiranger

So recently, I've been talking to someone about Magiranger. However, this person keeps proposing that Magiranger is strongly derived from Harry Potter. *twitch twitch* I argued that it isn't and several other aspects of the characters' abilities, weapons, etc. came from a much broader range. (Used European culture, mythology, RPGs, and mainstream anime and manga as some of my reasons.) Even after hearing this, he's still pushing the Harry Potter argument because of its popularity. I kinda think this is biased and he's only going on the coincidence of it being recent. Should I even bother trying to prove my argument at this point?
Midori Kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #2
nickraman
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Arguing about Magiranger

Yeah and Timeranger's based off Scarface.
nickraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #3
Iroquois
Putty Patroller

People tend to get crazy when they hear the word 'rip-off'. Just tell Batman fans that Batman was a rip-off from a classic horror film and they'll flip.

I'm certain that part of the idea was based on the Harry Potter craze. I've seen things that have been used in the Harry Potter movies (e.g. the brooms, the talking mandragora that cries when it's taken out of its pot, the design of their hideout etc.), but the real question IMO isn't if Magiranger ripped off Harry Potter (and it didn't, because plot and characters completely different), but how much did Harry Potter use from the culture of magic in the first place. For example the flying brooms were used in HP, but it was definitely a well-known tradition in the culture of magic.
Iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #4
nickraman
Putty Patroller

MF gets that Lord of the rings feel.
nickraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #5
FirePhoenix
Putty Patroller

Magi dose have one thing over that harry pothead is of course Houkachan(in love emoticon)
FirePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #6
Mole
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickraman View Post
Yeah and Timeranger's based off Scarface.
How can you use those two to compare Magi to HP? At least with MAgi and HP, there is a possible connection.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #7
The 2nd Evil
Putty Patroller

Don Dornero was a mobster. That's the only connection I can make.
The 2nd Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #8
McAster
Putty Patroller

Just argue to your friend that everything is a rip-off of Shakespeare's works or the Illiad and that he shouldn't watch anything because of that.

Fight fire with fire.
McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #9
XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2
Putty Patroller

Well, I personally defintely got serious Harry Potter vibes when I saw Hikaru open up the wall and take the rangers into the train station that Travelion was on. I think that that aspect, at least, was inspired by Harry Potter, I mean, it's not that secret magic trains are prevailent in all forms of fiction, though and personally have never heard of a secret magic train that can transform into a mecha (Transformers don't count since they're not powered by Magic).
XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/06, 11:45 AM   #10
XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowJoker/TaimuFaiyaa View Post
I don't anyone is saying Harry Potter created the whole Magical theme of wizards and witches, I think it's more that Harry Potter made it more popular. And because it popularized theme and the franchise itself is popular when something else comes out in the same vein people just naturally compare it.

Just like Halo, Halo wasn't the first first-person-shooter to come out but it made that genre a helluva lot popular and because the game was good people usually use that to compare other first person shooters. That's just the way it is, especially in entertainment. When something good comes out and because popular other companies try to jump on the bandwagon to garner that attention and make some money of the craze. I can easily go on with the exaples.

Now I still stand by my word that Magiranger was INFLUNCED by the Harry Potter CRAZE but I'm not saying that it ripped-off the HP movies cuz If that was the case the Magiranger would be about 3 alchemy students in a Acedemy of Magic and Magired would be a boy with glasses and lightning bolt on his forehead...etc.

For those of you out there, there is a difference between ripping off and inspiration
HA, Halo is a well-selling series, but it's hardly the game that popularized FPS. If anything, Halo jumped on the bandwagon already started by games like Doom, Goldeneye, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which all argueably did far more for the genre than Halo, and all of which are argueably better during their time than Halo during its.
XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply