Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 01/28/18, 01:35 PM   #11
Sailor Saban
Comic Relief

Default Re: More Zyu Footage

Oh I see Matt. When Saban Fan and myself give Saban his just due you say Saban had nothing to do with creative. But now he did all of the sudden when it coes to Tommy?
Sailor Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 01:35 PM   #12
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Green Spandex View Post
I like his idea to have Tommy sit out as a Ranger for a year. It may have rehabbed his character. If Saban really thought the way you said, he was hurting his own brand.
considering they were pretty much friends and I think I've heard stories where Haim actually invited him to his house that should tell you all you need to know. It wasn't even him who was treating JDF that way even the Producers did since JDF wanted to leave in Zeo but he was threatened to stay basically the threat was "if you leave then we're replacing the others" so a compromise was made where he would leave during Turbo.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 01:48 PM   #13
Goldar's Revenge
Power Ranger

Tommy was still the start of the show. They wanted to keep him as long as they could. And lets not forget things were great ratings and toy sale wise during season 2. They wouldn't have made demoted JDF for season 3. Nor would he have gotten the blame for season 3's woes.

By the time Zeo finished things were low enough that the producers were more open for major changes. Not to mention the major behid the scences changes that happened in Turbo. Plus JDF wanted out anyway. And they already had gotten him to stay longer.
Goldar's Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 01:51 PM   #14
Tommy Hater
Ranger In Training

Tommy was the reason for the ratings and toy sales going down. People finally wised up and realized what a bad character he was. People weren't mesmorized by the overrated Green Ranger Powers. If I was Saban I would have moved on from Tommy a lot earlier. Pay Austin St. John whatever he wanted to stay or come back as Jason earlier.
Tommy Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 02:08 PM   #15
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Saban View Post
Oh I see Matt. When Saban Fan and myself give Saban his just due you say Saban had nothing to do with creative. But now he did all of the sudden when it coes to Tommy?
that's different because you people claim that he has everything to do with the show including writing the show when he doesn't he has small things to do with it but generally nothing big unless it involved his bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldar's Revenge View Post
Tommy was still the start of the show. They wanted to keep him as long as they could. And lets not forget things were great ratings and toy sale wise during season 2. They wouldn't have made demoted JDF for season 3. Nor would he have gotten the blame for season 3's woes.

By the time Zeo finished things were low enough that the producers were more open for major changes. Not to mention the major behid the scences changes that happened in Turbo. Plus JDF wanted out anyway. And they already had gotten him to stay longer.
exactly although the ratings weren't that good by the time of Zeo but yes Tommy was supposed to be "the star of the show."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hater View Post
Tommy was the reason for the ratings and toy sales going down. People finally wised up and realized what a bad character he was. People weren't mesmorized by the overrated Green Ranger Powers. If I was Saban I would have moved on from Tommy a lot earlier. Pay Austin St. John whatever he wanted to stay or come back as Jason earlier.
he wasn't the reason for the ratings and sales declining what happens on the show has very little to do with the merchandise stuff the show was just declining in popularity as a show. Austin wanted the show to go union and it was something both he, Walter and Thuy wanted and if they agreed to their demands then they've needed to give them to JDF, Amy and David too since they would all have to be paid the same amount of money due to union rules.
Old 01/28/18, 03:57 PM   #16
PRangerX
Administrator

I do think the change over in Turbo helped to freshen things up for the targer audience. Which mostly have came in after the early seasons. But to say PR's decline was Tommy's doing doesn't seem right to me. Sometimes shows just grow cold quickly. Especially children's shows designed to sell toys. Really the MMPR bubble was going to burst after not to long in any case. Its amazing the shlw rebounded and has existed at the current level for so long.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 04:10 PM   #17
Ocean Of Revenge
Putty Patroller

The planned Zyu3 footage would have been cool to see. But season 2 worked out. Even with the unexpected cast change.
Ocean Of Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 04:11 PM   #18
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRangerX View Post
I do think the change over in Turbo helped to freshen things up flr the targer audience. Which mostly have came in after the early seasons. But to say PR's decline was Tommy's doing doesn't seem right to me. Sometimes sboews just grow cold quickly. Especially children's shows designed to sell toys. Really the MMPR bubble was going to burst after not to long in any case. Its amazing the shlw rebounded and has existed at the current level for so long.
yea I agree the changeover in Turbo did help to freshen things up "flr" the targer (or rather target) audience and I also agree that it's wrong to say that Tommy or any character for that matter was responsible for the show's declining popularity since it wasn't always going to be popular regardless of whether they had Tommy on the show or not. I agree the MMPR bubble was going to burst sooner or later anyway and yes it is amazing that the show rebounded and has existed at the current level for so long not always a pleasant level mind you like Samurai and Megaforce for example but hey not every season can be a winner.
Old 01/28/18, 04:32 PM   #19
PRangerX
Administrator

Lol fixed the typo.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/18, 12:43 PM   #20
VR Master
Power Ranger

Its an interesting what if. But I don't think they were just going to keep paying for more Zyu footage. Not when Toei was making new Sentais every year. And casts were alreay starting to have massive turnover. Saban Entertainment had to know cast changes were inevitable once the actors got too old. So it made ir more convient to go with the new Sentai Footage and change things up.
VR Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply