Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/18/14, 05:55 PM   #1
redspdranger
Putty Patroller

Default Should we need to depend on sentai footage only

According to what i have heard all the power rangers are adapted from sentai series of japan. They are fine,but my question is that why do we need to adapt sentai series for each and every power rangers series. I mean there are 20 series till now if we don't count super samurai and super megaforce as a series. All are adaptations of sentai series. Only filler episodes are created by the saban. Is there any possibility in future that writers of saban create their own power rangers series with own storylines because i can understand that adapting sentai series is quite a difficult thing especially because it has huge japan links.
redspdranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/14, 09:00 PM   #2
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: Should we need to depend on sentai footage only

You are right... every Power Rangers series has been adapted from a Sentai series and the reason such a thing is necessary is because it saves on money.

It costs about $20,000 for each Monster Suit. Not to mention all of the costs for the Rangers and Mecha Suits and all of those need to have Hero Suits and Stunt Suits.

On top of which there's the salary for creating props when they can't use the toys for whatever reason.

Also they need to have added expenses for repairing props and suits as well as creating sets.

There's absolutely NO chance of Saban ever having their own Power Rangers, whether they wanted to do that or not they legally can't. They're contractually obligated to use Sentai footage otherwise it legally can't be called Power Rangers.

Also on top of which it's not cheap to create zord battles either. It takes a lot of time, work and effort.

Also you can't just say "only fillers" are created by Saban. There's numerous things that were created by Saban or Disney that wasn't in Sentai.

Why don't we go through a list, shall we? Because of how long this list is it will take a few posts and I will separate according to Ranger and villains so that the post isn't so long with both lists being together.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/14, 12:01 AM   #3
MattEmily
Administrator

First with Power Rangers, here are the things that weren't in Sentai.

Battlizers (the Ranger forms only their Morphers with the except of Space are usually repainted Sentai Morphers although Leo did not have a Battlizer Morpher due to just using the keys)
Mega Battles.
Metallic Armor.

Shark Cycles.
Jet Jammers and the Astro Cycles.
Lightspeed's Cycles (except for Red)
Vector Cycles
TF Eagle
Strata Cycle
Savage Cycles (except for Merrick's)
Tsunami Cycles (except for the Thunders')
Ninja Glider Bike
Dragonforce Vehicle
Raptor Cycles
Hovertek Cycle
Patrol Cycles
The Jeeps that first Tommy rode in then it was repainted for S.P.D.
Tommy, Trent and Cruger's ATVs
Strike Rider
Most of the other ground vehicles except for the Zeo Jet Cycles, Turbo Carts, Radbug and Galaxy Gliders but they had to have the Radbug and Galaxy Gliders (as well as Zhane's Silver Cycle which did come from Sentai) for original footage but whether they got it from Toei themselves or they had to make it themselves that's not really known. The Capsular Cycle from Galaxy is still Sentai but it was seen in original footage a few times.
Raptor Riders were Sentai but they had some original footage.

The "Mega Modes" that Samurai had.

Ninjazord cockpits
Shoguzord cockpits
Samurai cockpits
Dino Charge zord cockpits

Command Center/Power Chamber
Interior of Astro Megaship
Aquabase
Clock Tower
Animarium (just the stuff on the island featuring the unmorphed Rangers and Shayla as well as her sacred pool)
Ninja Ops
Dino Lab
S.P.D. Base (mostly just interior shots)
Rootcore
Hartford Mansion
Jungle Karma Pizza
Dr. K's Garage and Lab
Shiba House
Gosei's Command Center
Kendall's Lab

Phantom's Blaster
Titanium's Axe/Laser
Jungle Blaster
Ninja Sword Gold Mode

Most morph sequences were redone. They wound up using the Sentai sequences for Space and Wild Force however and they did try to mimic the Shinkenger one a bit with Samurai while still trying to make it their own.
Old 11/19/14, 12:13 AM   #4
MattEmily
Administrator

Now in the case of the villains and what wasn't in Sentai but was still Power Rangers.

Lord Zedd
Divatox
Elgar originated in Sentai as did Rygog but their costumes were re-made so that they had a better costume for the movie.
Mama D
Maligore
Dark Specter
Astronema
Scorpius
Trakeena
Furio was a Sentai costume but everything you see of it in Galaxy is new since he had no Sentai footage in Galaxy since the suit was actually made Megaranger which was what was adapted for Space.

Ransik
Master Org
Lothor
Kapri and Marah (they wore the same clothes to their Sentai counterparts but Kapri and Marah were actually their own character and generally they were usually in original footage)

Mesogog
Elsa
Gruumm
Mora/Morgana (Morgana had a counterpart in Sentai but she was just a powerful Monster-of-the-Day who was just there along with the counterparts to Devastation and Shorty to intro DekaBreak/Omega)

Leelee
Flurious
Norg
Venjix virus
Tenaya
Sledge (Dino Charge)
Snide is a Sentai costume but all of his footage is original.
Zedd's Putties.
Tenga Warriors.
Putra Pods, Piranhatrons
Quantrons, Velocifighters
Stingwingers
Kelzak Furies
Tyrannodrones

Zedd's and his Chamber of Commands.
Master Vile's Skull base was there but it needed original footage due to Rita, Zedd and Goldar being in it.
Subcraft - all interior and exterior stuff was new.
Space Base = exterior was Sentai. all interior was new except for Havoc's Zord Hangar.
Dark Fortress = most exterior stuff was Sentai, generally all interior stuff is new however there are some Psycho scenes in their base that are Sentai.
Scorpion Stinger = all new.
Mutiny Castle = mostly all Sentai but they had shot some original interior stuff.
Skull Cavern = mostly all Sentai but new scenes were filmed inside there because of Vypra mostly.
Prison Ship = exterior is Sentai everything else is generally new unless Frax is the only one that is around then it's likely it is Sentai but that's not always the case.
Nexus = taken from Sentai but generally most of it was new until Mandilok had taken over then it was Sentai and original.
Lothor's ship = all original
island fortress = Mesogog's lair was indeed all original
Terror = Gruumm's space craft was indeed all original
Underworld = taken from Sentai some of it was Sentai but because of Necrolai and Leelee a lot of new stuff had to be re-shot.
Dai Shi's Temple = taken from Sentai but new scenes were filmed.
Venjix Palace = exterior is Sentai but interior is mostly new.
Xandred's Boat = all Sentai
Warstar Ship = basically all Sentai except for one scene.
Vrak's Underwater Base = from Sentai but new scenes were shot
Armada Ship = taken from Sentai but new scenes were filmed.
Lord Arcanon's/Sledge's Ship = all new.

Prince Gasket and Archerina originated in Sentai but they changed Gasket's character. Originally in Sentai Gasket was an adult form of Sprocket.

Now for the enlarging techniques.
Rita's Wand was all Sentai.
Zedd's Growth Potion is a mixture of American and Sentai since he summons it in original footage but then it eventually crosses into Dairanger footage.
Zedd and Rita's lightning - starts in original but then it mixes into Sentai.
Orbus' Ray = generally it is Sentai but there have been a few times when he and Klank have done their thing but regardless most of the time the actual injection is Sentai.

Subcraft Torpedoes = all new.
Satellasers = mixture of Sentai and new.
Potions = Monsters in Galaxy drank potions to grow and while this also happened in Sentai we usually saw them changing the bottle in original footage.
Demon Enlarge Card = this was basically all Sentai except for 1 episode.
DNA patch = except for one episode this was all Giant.
Org Seeds = the seeds were always the things that were used to enlarge Orgs so it was always Sentai BUT it wasn't always Toxica that fired them but whenever she shot them it was pretty much all Sentai except for close-ups of her reciting her spell.
Kapri's P.A.M. Enlarger = the one we always saw was Sentai.
Hydro Regenerator = the rain cloud and rain was Sentai but the Hydro Regenerator that activated the rain was obviously not in Sentai.
Koragg was usually the one that enlarged their monsters through spells and it was generally done via Sentai.
Enlargement Download = most of this Venjix Palace download was indeed Sentai.
Zombats/Zombots = Sentai
Levira's Laser = Sentai
Sledge's Magna Beam = original although it's not very original since we've seen growth lasers and growth beams before.

Goldar's Cyclopsis cockpit
Zedd's Serpentera Cockpit
Kaprizord, Marahzord and Shimazuzord Cockpits
Lothorzord Cockpit
A-Squad Megazord Cockpits

Fortress Cockpit
Old 11/25/14, 11:39 AM   #5
MattEmily
Administrator

Now in the case of allies to either the Rangers, villains or both... the new characters that were not seen in Sentai are as follows:

Zordon
Alpha 5/6/7
Dimitria
D.E.C.A.

Cruger and Kat Manx were not technically new characters they were just adaptations of their Dekaranger counterparts and instead of being Swan-based Kat becomes Cat-based.

The S.W.A.T. Teacher was also a money-based adaptation much like the one in Dekaranger but just like with Cruger and Kat they created a new design for him.

Silverback's R.I.C. was also a new design as well but I also don't personally remember if his counterpart had a Murphy or not.

Phineas was also a new creation as were the magical creatures in the forest in "Mystic Force" as well as the various aliens (that weren't part of Gruumm or Broodwing's army.)
Old 11/25/14, 06:28 PM   #6
Zabitan
Administrator

On one hand I don't think we should depend %100 on Super Sentai since I like original stories, villains, Battlizers, monsters, and Rangers.

But at the same time We can't make our own monsters, and Rangers without kitbashing old ones, and we can't make our own Zords, and Megazords yet plus I like it when they use every villain, and monster from the Super Sentai.

So I'm going to say an even 50/50 on that one.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/25/14, 10:58 PM   #7
PRangerX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabitan View Post
On one hand I don't think we should depend %100 on Super Sentai since I like original stories, villains, Battlizers, monsters, and Rangers.

But at the same time We can't make our own monsters, and Rangers without kitbashing old ones, and we can't make our own Zords, and Megazords yet plus I like it when they use every villain, and monster from the Super Sentai.

So I'm going to say an even 50/50 on that one.
I think thats a good way to describe pr's ideal releation to sentai.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/14, 02:07 PM   #8
Prince Gasket
Putty Patroller

Yes Power Rangers does need to depend on the Sentai footage otherwise there would be no Power Rangers to begin with.
Prince Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/14, 02:23 PM   #9
Dark Specter
Putty Patroller

No Power Rangers shouldn't need to depend on Sentai.
Yes it's true that Power Rangers relies heavily on the footage but they are more than capable of shooting all of their footage themselves except for the zord battles but they are perfectly capable of shooting zord battles themselves as well.
Dark Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/14, 07:14 PM   #10
Sentai Is Forever
Sentai Snob

If PR didn't depend on Sentai footage it would die. Power Rangers is a watered down version of Sentai. It would never exist without Sentai. You would also lose all the Sentai fans. Disney wanted to do their own PR cartoon and they learned quickly why that wasn't gonna happen. PR is Sentai. I wish some people would just accept this and not complain everytime PR "copies Sentai". I guess Voltron should have been a tottally different show from Golion and just use the Voltron name.
Sentai Is Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply