Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10/27/14, 11:31 AM   #1
blacklion400
Shadow Ranger

Default Re-watching Mighty Morphin - Forgot how Good Season 3 was

So, having recently purchased the Shout! MMPR boxset, I'm nearly at the end of Season 3 and I have to say it's impressed me a lot more than I remember! Personally I think this is the Season where the show really found it's groove and felt assured at what it was doing. Season 1 is good but is mostly just filler, and feels very much like 'the first'. With Season 2, well the word 'mess' springs to mind. Season 3 is where it seems to come together pretty well.

Some of the things I enjoy;

The fact that the season is more story driven, mostly helped by the various multi-parters.

Kimberly's departure - the run of episodes from A Ranger Catastrophe to A Different Shade of Pink might be the best of MMPR. Actually Kimberly as a whole is pretty awesome this season, Amy Jo really grew into a good actress while on the show.

The humour is on top form as well, from Bulk and Skull and especially the villains. I know most people prefer Lord Zedd before Rita showed up, but I kinda like their relationship, and when Rito shows up they all feel like a big, dysfunctional family. The fact the eventually do destroy the rangers' powers still makes them seem dangerous (even if they get help from Vile).

There are still a few issues however;

Neither Rocky, Adam or Aisha get the focus they deserve when compared to Tommy, Billy, Kim or even Kat. I know Aisha gets the Stop the Hate Master two-parter, but to me it just felt like an extended 'obligatory character episode' which Rocky and Adam got with 'Wizard for a Day' and 'Passing the Lantern'.

The Alien ranger saga is definitely the weak link. While I enjoy the dire situation the rangers get themselves in, the alien ranger episodes do feel like a step down (although the ending is brilliant). Also watching some of the kid rangers acting is painful. Kat's actress especially

But overall, a very good season, and one I think deserves more love!

Anyway, just felt like sharing my thoughts with you. Now I need to purchase Season 4-7.
Old 10/27/14, 08:53 PM   #2
PRangerX
Administrator

Default Re: Re-watching Mighty Morphin - Forgot how Good Season 3 was

Season 3 was exciting and full of imagination. It was a fun ride that had a few good cliffhangers. I remember waiting through the hatius counting the days to see what would happen. I think part of the reason people love Zeo is because mmpr 3 set it up.

Kimberly got the best send off of any departing Ranger during that period. Kat was introduced perfectly. Loved how she didnt just become a good ranger easily. We saw her grow as a character.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/14, 07:38 PM   #3
C-C-C-COMBAT
Shadow Ranger

Just worked my way through MMPR again on netflix after a gap of about 15 years.

Whilst I set out on a downer over season three its not without merit. The development of Billy is great and theres some great set plays like Zedd v Tommy and the Evil Kat storyline brings back fond memories of Green With Evil.

However I'll never warm to the complete removal of unmorphed fight scenes. That showed what these guys were deep down without powers and showed the actors martial art skills. The ninja stuff is a cheesefest and just takes up time that could be used better elsewhere.

The vast majority of zord sequences seem criminally short. Not sure if this is because the Sentai footage wasnt workable but its only in Master Vile and the Metalic Armour that these sets of zords seem to properly come into their own. The best post Doomsday Zord sequences in my opinion.

I found with seasons 2 and 3 the zord fights would involve very little fighting. The finishing move would be used very quickly whereas Dino MegaZord and Dragon zord were involved in more scraps.

I also think the death of the MMPR soundtrack is a real shame. The likes of 'combat' '541' and 'i will win' always stirred up the action scenes for me. The cheesy tanga song doesmt cut it.

As a final moan, i never liked Zedd with Rita. Both seemed well a good deal more evil on their own. Its almost as if Saban were told to tone them down for the kids.

Onto Zeo!
Old 11/10/14, 07:40 PM   #4
ElusiveWookiee
Shadow Ranger

3 is not only my favorite season of MMPR, but my favorite of the entire series. From the multi-part introductions (even the metallic armor. How else were they going to see left over metallic movie figures? ), episodes that carried some impact, better acting, cool zords....I loved it all.
Old 11/10/14, 07:42 PM   #5
red-thunder
Shadow Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-C-C-COMBAT View Post
st worked my way through MMPR again on netflix after a gap of about 15 years.

Whilst I set out on a downer over season three its not without merit. The development of Billy is great and theres some great set plays like Zedd v Tommy and the Evil Kat storyline brings back fond memories of Green With Evil.

However I'll never warm to the complete removal of unmorphed fight scenes. That showed what these guys were deep down without powers and showed the actors martial art skills. The ninja stuff is a cheesefest and just takes up time that could be used better elsewhere.

The vast majority of zord sequences seem criminally short. Not sure if this is because the Sentai footage wasnt workable but its only in Master Vile and the Metalic Armour that these sets of zords seem to properly come into their own. The best post Doomsday Zord sequences in my opinion.

I found with seasons 2 and 3 the zord fights would involve very little fighting. The finishing move would be used very quickly whereas Dino MegaZord and Dragon zord were involved in more scraps.

I also think the death of the MMPR soundtrack is a real shame. The likes of 'combat' '541' and 'i will win' always stirred up the action scenes for me. The cheesy tanga song doesmt cut it.

As a final moan, i never liked Zedd with Rita. Both seemed well a good deal more evil on their own. Its almost as if Saban were told to tone them down for the kids.

Onto Zeo!
I agree and that's the reason why S3 is not my favorite MMPR season. My favorites have always been the 2nd half of season 1 and the 1st half of season 2. We got some great unmorphed fights, and that's when the cast had the best chemistry together.
Old 11/10/14, 07:47 PM   #6
PRangerX
Administrator

They toned down the unmorphed fighting due to some of the complaints they got from parents about violence. So they went the more comedic route with the ninja suits. I agree the loss of the unmorphed fighting was one of the flaws of season 3
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply