Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/07/14, 10:29 PM   #1
ASpice92
Putty Patroller

Default Which Disney Seasons Should I watch?

I've just recently got re-interested into the franchise and have been thinking of trying to check out the Disney seasons. Any recommendations
ASpice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/14, 10:30 PM   #2
MegaBlue
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Which Disney Seasons Should I watch?

Ninja Storm and DinoThunder are a good pair to begin with. IMO, Ninja Storm was a nice breath of fresh air after the seriousness and drama of Wild Force. Ninja Storm is an offbeat, fun season, and, while DinoThunder is a more serious season, it still retains some of the humor that NS had.

NS does have some problems, though. The voice track is tinny at times, but that's because the recording equipment in New Zealand wasn't the greatest at the beginning of Disney's run there. Compare some of the NS episodes with Tori in particular to Operation Overdrive's multi-season reunion, "Once A Ranger." The voice track is greatly improved. Also, NS is *very* heavy on '90s teen slang (in particular, the word 'dude' is thrown around A LOT), which is even lampooned in DinoThunder.
MegaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/14, 10:30 PM   #3
MastaDan2
Putty Patroller

RPM is largely considered the best Disney season with the majority of the fandom. If you plan to watch them all though I always think it's best to go in order. But if you don't have the time or care to watch them all I'd go with: RPM, Dino Thunder (especially if you were an MMPR fan), and SPD. Those are my personal favorites.

Operation Overdrive and Mystic Force seem to be the least liked seasons, especially Overdrive. I personally think Mystic Force is worse though.
MastaDan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/14, 10:32 PM   #4
Digificwriter
Putty Patroller

I'd say you should watch Wild Force, Ninja Storm, Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive, Jungle Fury, and RPM in their entirety, and watch the team-up episodes from Dino Thunder and S.P.D. (which are really the only bright spots in those two seasons, which otherwise suck).
Digificwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/14, 10:33 PM   #5
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

I highly recommend RPM, S.P.D., Wild Force and Jungle Fury in that order. But all eight have their strong points.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/14, 10:34 PM   #6
Pepper
Putty Patroller

All of them except Operation Overdrive, Disney had a really good run imo.

Wild Force: The acting was not so great but the story is good with some surprisingly dark reveals.

Ninja Storm: Great cast, a breath of fresh air after PR started to take itself more and more serious the previous years, it's heavy on comedy but personally I love it to death.

Dino Thunder: Another good one with a great cast, I like the main three rangers but how they were forced to write around JDFs absence and the white ranger being evil much longer in Japan hurt the series in the second half.

SPD: The third great cast in a row, very memorable characters and one of the few purely tech based seasons.

Mystic Force: Heavy focus on the red ranger but I still liked it,mthe story was pretty good

Operation Overdrive: the only real failure of the Disney era, the only good parts are the story of red ranger Mack and Spencer as a supporting character.

Jungle Fury: A fun season, suffered from the writer's strike in the middle but it had good back stories especially for RJ, great action imo.

RPM: Yes, it was good but I think it's overrated, many people treat it like the be all, end all of Power Rangers which it really was not, Ziggy was too much amd all the *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* in jokes stopped being funny after the third time. That doesn't mean it's bad, not at all, as I said, it's good but better than everything else? No way.

The Disney era was awesome and the quality took a real nose dive as soon as Saban got the franchise
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/14, 10:38 PM   #7
ryanator008
Putty Patroller

Jungle Fury and RPM were some of the best Power Rangers seasons ever. I've only seen a few episodes of SPD, and it seems good, but to me the low-budget is very obvious in that season for some reason that I can't explain. Ninja Storm was average. Dino Thunder was pretty cool. Operation Overdrive was weird and dumb, but had an awesome plot twist. I haven't seen Mystic Force, but it seems like it tried way too hard to be current, and it really shows. Wild Force (if you count it) was pretty cool.
ryanator008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/14, 10:41 PM   #8
Archanix
Putty Patroller

For lighter fun seasons: Ninja Storm and Jungle fury. NS is a bit nicer and easier to watch unless you expect some character to behave like adults in Jungle Fury there are mixed elements to it. It is fun but some stuff gets annoying but story is more serious with some important Villain relationships.

For fun lighthearted but still some dark stuff in it: Dino Thunder and SPD. Dino Thunder has a bit better characters (especially 6th[minus 1] ranger) but SPD has nice story as a whole. In DT there are too many random stuff happening around while Rangers in SPD work like children in sandbox.

There is also RPM which is Dark as f*ck. Some people complain that it isn't much a Power Ranger season, which is in my opinion good. There are 20 seasons differences makes some seasons more worth to watch when somebody has not time to enjoy over 200 episodes. It has a lot of goofy moments but it is the only Disney season which treats itself like Adult Drama. Rangers even with lacks of dedicated episodes(Blue guy has two episodes and rest of the season spend more in the background) are quite developed but unfortunatly... Villains suck... maybe main a bit less but guy is flatter than Gosei's head.
Archanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/14, 10:54 PM   #9
ShinySephiroth
Putty Patroller

I thought SPD had a lot of good, stand alone episodes, but as a whole there were continuity errors in the character development that irked me too much, so I became a middle of the pack season. I find that to be a shame, too, due to the great acting.

I loved Jungle Fury. The first few episodes feel like they are trying to find their footing, but everything after that is fun and acted well. And RJ is awesome.

I really Liked Mystic Force, regardless of some of the character stuff. I recognize the critiques about the show, but I still like it and I can't quite pinpoint why. I think the actors did a great job and most of the plot was fun. I really liked Toby, and Phineas was amazing on all levels.

RPM did it all right. I don't know if it is my favorite season, but it is up there.

OO bugs me to no end. I can see the storyline and I want to be interested in it, but I find myself bored when watching it. And the constant accent dropping annoys me very much. I think the actors for the most part were great, but the execution was just... bizarre. Oh, and the explosions. Way too many.

Dino Thunder is very fun, but there are some dull parts. It is in the higher part of episode ranking for me, but the lulls in the story keep it from being excellent for me. It's good, but nothing amazing.

Wild Force... It's there. Sometimes the kiddie aspects of the show (Max and Danny had to have been directed to sound like they are talking down to kids) weighed things down. Sometimes there are bouts of bad acting, but I'm sure every actor has multiple bad takes, so I again fault the director for not trying to get a better shot of a scene for some of the scenes, and the actor for others. The story is actually quite interesting for me with a lot of background lore. And I like how Ricardo Medina acts in the show. I know a lot have called it over acting, but I think he hit the jungle boy now leader character right on. Cole was super into the role and Ricardo showed that.

Ninja Storm is a contender for my favorite overall season, along with RPM, JF, and Space. The villains were hilarious, the acting for the teens was great and they were fun to watch. I really wish they hadn't gone with the guinea pig thing, but they did a good job of making that a background thing and not some gimmick shoved into our faces every episode. I rarely found myself bored and enjoy rewatching this series.
ShinySephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply