Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 06/14/15, 12:01 PM   #1
laterdayz13
Putty Patroller

Default Don't remember the episode title for Space Episode

Don't remember the episode title but it was when Andros brought Astronema onto the Astroship. TJ was the first to take charge and tell Andros that that shit wasn't cool and he was losing focus on the goal.
laterdayz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/15, 12:03 PM   #2
X1 Mask
Comic Relief

Default Re: Don't remember the episode title for Space Episode

Hmm. That must have been Astronema Thinks Twice. I don't really remember that line, I'll check it out again sometime. (though Astronema ended up being on their side. All the other rangers were pretty uneasy about her coming on board, but in the end, through their actions, they were able to turn the main villian of the series onto their side and gain a powerful ally against Dark Specter. Maybe he didn't "lose focus" after all)

Anyway, it always seemed to me focusing on Astronema wasn't a distraction from the goal. Remember that they had the whole universe to search, and no real leads. Plus they had to defend earth from Astronema, as well as protect themselves as Astronema was sent specifically to stop them. It's not like he didn't pay attention to Zordon, there was just an obstactle ahead of them they needed to deal with first. By this logic all the rangers needed to have some sense smacked into them (Cassie sucks cause she wasted important time on a bee who wanted to be nice, Ashley sucks cause she cares about her grandma)

I mean, c'mon, it's his long lost sister. He's just supposed to say "screw it she's evil now" and run a sword through her? That's a little harsh.

These aren't mindless automatons, they're teenagers with an impossible goal thrust upon them. I think they did a pretty good job.

PRiS, though it does get overrated I think, is probably one of the better PR seasons in my opinion. It's worlds better than anything that came before it (the only thing that comes close is maybe Zeo). I haven't seen much of the later seasons save for TF and SPD (which I quite liked). Andros is probably one of my favorite rangers, brooding at time, and a little unsure of the mission that has been suddenly thrust onto him, but he rises to it eventually. The scenes of him on Onyx are still some of my favorites. The arc between Darkonda him and Karone/Astronema was well done.

There were a few big drawbacks though, I thought.
1. Little/no character development for anyone who is not named Andros, Zhane, or Karone. There's a tiny bit of Ashley and Carlos in there too, but Cassie and TJ really don't do all that much over the course of the show. PRiS is the Andros show, and I think it pulls it off, but did not need to do so at the expense of everyone else.
2. Zhane is a little weak as far as a sixth ranger goes. He was a cool contrast to Andros, but then jets off to fight with KO-35 Rebels for extended periods of time for no reason? Other than to name drop "Rebels" to make this seem more like Star Wars, it didn't make a lot of sense to me why he was in and out.
3. Some episodes were just really weird, or painfully bad "The Great Evilyzer", "Andros and the Stowaway" or that stupid one with the stupid Bee.

I don't think this overrides the high points though
1. Andros' running arc to find his sister and Zordon, and eventually having to kill both of them
2. Darkonda
3. Some cool spaceship-like zords (I like them, others don't)
4. Space travel... for the first time we have the rangers going places on a regular basis
5. Some of the strongest multi-part arcs in the series (Flashes of Darkonda, Astronema Thinks Twice, Psycho Rangers, Countdown). Really good stuff.

Plus Bulk and Skull were funny at times. I especially liked Prof. P. and his "to the untrained eye!" line
X1 Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/15, 12:11 PM   #3
Churlyryan
Putty Patroller

I enjoyed PRIS, mainly because of my disgust of the decision to replace Turbo1 with terrible newbs who had no idea what they were getting themselves into was gone.

Space was Turbo2's Magnum Opus. They stopped sucking but thats not to say we can't forget they were the most terrible rangers in histo
Churlyryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/15, 12:13 PM   #4
Lives By The Sword
Putty Patroller

I disagree. I'd chalk that title up to Overdrive, cause I believe that when the Command Center got destroyed they would have just quit and went home with an "Oh well.. Guess they're in space now.." and we would have seen Ronny racing around the track and Will breaking and entering and ect.

What's also funny is the debate of the destruction of the Thunder Megazord and Tiger Megazord. It randomly pops up no matter what the original thread discussion was about. Anyway we all know that was Rocky's fault.

Back to the topic. I found PRiS to be a great series. I liked the team. The villains were cool and since series back then were 40-50 episodes all the characters were developed fantastic. Always a Chance is still one of my all time favorite episodes to this day.

Though... Though should have left out the Ninja Turtles..
Lives By The Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/15, 12:14 PM   #5
TommyIsGod
Putty Patroller

Yeah, I'd love to know exactly what makes the Turbo Rangers the "worst rangers in history."

Let's remember that they were incredibly inexperienced and had a mentor who was just as inexperienced as they were yet they managed to hold their own, survive the complete and utter destruction of their base to turn around and recklessly go into space without powers because they knew they had to try to do something to help Zordon (who they never even met.)

Some might call it stupid. Well, it sort of was. But it was also completely heroic. They had no safety net. They just went out there since they felt the personal responsibility to do so. From there they went on to traverse space with the hope of everyone on their shoulders. The rookies still managed to hold their own despite a leader who never appropriately got his head in the game. Yeah, they needed an act of God to save the day but they still were going up against six seasons' worth of villains without any of the "original" rangers' help.

Were they the best team ever? Nah. There were quite a few that were better. But the worst? No. Not even close. I stand by the theory that the people who consider the Turbo/Space Rangers to be the worst ever are mostly people who are still bitter about the fact that their nostalgic favorites all got replaced. They were old. They had been around for a long time. It was time for them to go. I loved Adam, Rocky, Katherine and Tanya too but they had their time. I would have liked to see them stick around until the end of Space as well but T.J., Ashley and Cassie were great replacements. It would have been a shame to never have them around.

Screw Carlos though. Adam should have stuck around. >_>

Space was a good season but it wasn't great. Carlos was annoying. Andros was the worst Red Ranger of all time. Zhane was hit or miss. The finale is incredibly overrated. It's only about the sixth best season. It's good but nowhere near as great as it gets talked up to be.
TommyIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/15, 12:16 PM   #6
PRangerX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyisGod View Post
Yeah, I'd love to know exactly what makes the Turbo Rangers the "worst rangers in history."

Let's remember that they were incredibly inexperienced and had a mentor who was just as inexperienced as they were yet they managed to hold their own, survive the complete and utter destruction of their base to turn around and recklessly go into space without powers because they knew they had to try to do something to help Zordon (who they never even met.)

Some might call it stupid. Well, it sort of was. But it was also completely heroic. They had no safety net. They just went out there since they felt the personal responsibility to do so. From there they went on to traverse space with the hope of everyone on their shoulders. The rookies still managed to hold their own despite a leader who never appropriately got his head in the game. Yeah, they needed an act of God to save the day but they still were going up against six seasons' worth of villains without any of the "original" rangers' help.

Were they the best team ever? Nah. There were quite a few that were better. But the worst? No. Not even close. I stand by the theory that the people who consider the Turbo/Space Rangers to be the worst ever are mostly people who are still bitter about the fact that their nostalgic favorites all got replaced. They were old. They had been around for a long time. It was time for them to go. I loved Adam, Rocky, Katherine and Tanya too but they had their time. I would have liked to see them stick around until the end of Space as well but T.J., Ashley and Cassie were great replacements. It would have been a shame to never have them around.

Screw Carlos though. Adam should have stuck around. >_>
I agree with you there. The Turbo/Space team was far from the worst. I'd even say they were among the best. For me the sting of losing the old Rangers was gone by the end of Turbo.

Some people say that the Turbos didn't get enough individual focus in Space. But the thing is Turbo season 2 did a good job introducing them to us. Which made it easier for space to just focus on Andros and its overplot. Since viewers should already have known the Turbos by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyisGod View Post
Space was a good season but it wasn't great. Carlos was annoying. Andros was the worst Red Ranger of all time. Zhane was hit or miss. The finale is incredibly overrated. It's only about the sixth best season. It's good but nowhere near as great as it gets talked up to be.
don't see how C2D is overrated. It was one of a kind. It set the template for PR finalies that lasted for years ( "Journeys End"m and "Fate of Lightspeed" to name a few). It flat out did stuff that just wasnt done in PR at the time. Earth being invaded, the Rangers revealing there idenities, the UAE being defeated, and the death of Zordon. There was also the bueatiful scene that had Andros carry the dead Astronoma with tears in his eyes. No PR finalie has been able to top it without coming off as a imitation. C2D made me feel like I was watching a prime time drama. It would have been the perfect series finalie for Power Rangers. And was the end of the fan coined Zordon Era. It just had everything you could want in an episode. It was like a fan fic writers dream.

I think Andros is actually among the stronger Red Rangers we have had. Surely better then most of our recent entries. The only modern day Red that I would really rank with him is Wes. Andros was one of the stronger PR characters. He was one of the first to be multi demensional. He had real character flaws and a darker backstory. And this is coming from a TJ fan ( I hated that TJ was no longer leader in the beginning). I'm curious why you consider among the worst?

I think Space was a great season. Because it took a Sentai that really had nothing to do with Space and went totally in its own orginal direction. It presented PR as this Science Fiction show for children. And really had a tone to it that PR never had. It paid off five years of conflict ( even if it wasn't planned that way over the long haul). The Andros/Karone storyline was a first for PR at the time. The concept of the Rangers exploring space was fun. Episodes like "From Out of Nowhere" , "Astronoma Thinks Twice", and "Countdown To Destruction" are some of the best PR episodes out there. I think you could argue that it was the best season of all time. And if not certianly close to it. PR will never have the courage to be as original as Space ever again.

Carlos was pretty bland but I guess every Ranger team seems to have a character or two that ads very little. "Always A Chance" was a good focus episode for him though.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply