Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 06/21/15, 11:10 PM   #1
Overdrive Omega
Comic Relief

Default Once A Ranger

What did everyone think of the episode?
Overdrive Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/15, 11:11 PM   #2
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo
Default Re: Once A Ranger

Outside of the pure fangasm of seeing old characters, it was a pretty disappointing entry. Thrax's random existence and abilities, the Overdrive Rangers wasting time moping, Alpha being in a box with a different voice walking around inside the Morphin Grid, all yuck. Like you, I was never big on Xander, Kira or Tori either.

Aside from Mack wielding Excelsior, Vulturis getting the gyro upgrade and Adam wearing the Defender Vest, this was one of the worst episodes of even Operation Overdrive, let alone Power Rangers as a while.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/15, 11:12 PM   #3
Internut
Putty Patroller

There's a lot to love with Once a Ranger. My appreciation of the episodes GREW after Megaforce's failed finale. OaR actually had the new Rangers interact with the old, plus it EXPLAINED as much as possible (Alpha in a box aside, maybe it was a Zordon spare like Gosei, to be used just in case of an emergency).

Who doesn't love the bit where Bridge describes why he is now SPD Red? Absolutely wonderful writing and everyone FEELS like they should do. Adam acts like Adam, Bridge is bridge, Kira is Kira, etc. It may have been tacked on to continue the general story and Thrax was never really implemented properly, but when OaR tried, it did fantastically.

There was effort and love put into it, since they wanted to celebrate the past but do so in a new way. I loved seeing the old cast driving the Overdrive Mecha, for example.

So while it did fail in many respects, it's still leaps and bounds above the Mega War in terms of quality, care, action and fun writing.
Internut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/15, 11:14 PM   #4
tavionjackson
Putty Patroller

I would've perfered if they used the same rangers as the Veteran Sentai with Crismon Thunder in Place of MagiShine. The story though, didn't like that Thrax was Rita and Zedds son. It doesn't even seem to be possible unless Rita and Zedd had a relationship prior to mmpr before she got locked away in the dumpster.
tavionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/21/15, 11:16 PM   #5
MastaDan2
Putty Patroller

I liked it.

I have some complaints. Alpha is the first to come to mind, Thrax coming out of no where. I understand these complaints. They just aren't enough to ruin the episode for me overall.

It has some great fights. The warehouse fight is one of my favorite foot soldier fights ever and I like that they play all the theme songs sans MMPR, but the replacement sounds just as good.

The morphs are just epic, especially Adam's. It's my favorite morph of the entire series, honestly.

I actually liked Xander here. I don't remember much about him from Mysic Force honestly (one of my least favorites) but he had a funny line or two.

It's nice to find out what they are all up to even if there careers are expected.

It was interesting seeing a ranger team have essentially nothing to do. Some say they quit too soon but nobody's perfect even Power Rangers, and it's nice to show flawed characters somestimes. Plus, I can't say I can blame them all for not wanting to hang around and clean with Mack.

I liked the multiple villains teaming together.

Part II should've been called Always a Ranger though.
MastaDan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/15, 12:37 AM   #6
Rangermanuel
Power Ranger

I did like Once A Ranger but I have a few complaints I agree the origins of Thrax would have been explained better. These multiple villains in the season kinda annoyed me but I love it when the good guys win. Alpha 6's new voice is worst than his Brooklyn like accent in the Turbo season and did not even explain how he got to Earth from Mirinoi maybe he got a little bored with his life after helping the Galaxy Rangers. Bridge being red is a bit of an insult but I do like him in green and his buttery joke is funny but Skye should have came back as the SPD red ranger. Took me ten years to get the gesture right. Kira returning and fighting alongside one of her former mentor Doctor O aka Tommy's fellow PR legends was a good idea while it lasted and that legend of course was Adam but I always liked him better in green. Having Xander back was sick but he and the other Mystic Rangers should have came back for a team up episode with the Overdrive team. I watch his actor on ABC Family's Chasing Life. The part 2 battle was one badass moment to top off the show.
Rangermanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/15, 03:23 PM   #7
PRangerX
Administrator

I liked it but can understand the episodes faults. Way too much focus on the Overdrive team. Who came off like quitters. The backstory with Thrax made no sense. The concept of Thrax bringing together the OO villains made alot of sense though. It was also cool to see an all star team of Rangers. Who were all fan favorites. The call backs to Alpha 6 and the morphing grid were cool.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/15, 09:34 PM   #8
Rangermanuel
Power Ranger

Yeah I agree but they should have brought back more previous rangers to capatlise on the 15th anniversary milestone. Plus they should have brought in a 6th ranger other than Tommy. Also I wonder why Disney did not even bother bringing back one of the Wild Force Rangers
Rangermanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/15, 09:47 PM   #9
Disney Ranger
Power Ranger

I think they just wanted to use Disney Era Rangers. Adam was just an extra treat to the fans.
Disney Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/22/15, 09:50 PM   #10
Captain Codfish
Power Ranger

I think it had a lot to do with logistical issues and not wanting to pay to fly too many people over from North America. Also there was probably the union issue for some actors. It was mainly a Disney Season team up.

The team up was pretty cool actually. I would have liked a better explanation for Thrax and more of the Classic Rangers. But it was still exciting to see the Rangers together. The OO Rangers ended up learning their lesson in the end anyway.
Captain Codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply