Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/02/14, 02:44 PM   #1
Red Ranger Sam
Shadow Ranger

Default Dino Thunder one of the best

The series has some of the most consistent characters throughout the franchise and their evolution is pretty plain to see. Conner, especially. He isn't the same insensitive, condescending jerk he was in Day of the Dino. Sure, he still says insensitive stuff sometimes, but as explicitly stated many times throughout the series, he's become more aware of it, and he is working on getting better about it. The list of girls was shallow, but he self-corrected, as he was never able or willing to do at the beginning of the series, when he always making excuses to justify his behavior rather than apologizing for it. Hell, his closest friend appears to be Ethan, someone he would have only mocked before the start of the series. He's changed a lot. So have Ethan and Kira.

Character-wise, Dino Thunder has some of the best writing of the franchise, which frankly was always Doug Sloan's strength (Ninja Storm highlights this as well). Funny enough, Tommy wouldn't have had really any consistent character traits in the early seasons if it wasn't for Doug Sloan. The characters fill so real and the chemistry between them was magic, partially due the awesomeness of the actors, but also due to how well they were written. I bought them way more as people than almost every other cast. Dino Thunder is the season I hold all other post-Zordon seasons up against and one of the main reasons I actually prefer Doug Sloan to the legendary Judd Lynn (who I also love). We'd be lucky to have another season like it.
Old 11/02/14, 03:10 PM   #2
Peter
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Dino Thunder one of the best

The invisiportals were almost every episode. They needed the characters to move around from scene to scene, they just had invisiportals pop up right where they were needed ... until the finale, where the Rangers had to enact a complicated and risky plan just to get one to open (which only made the last 37 episodes worth of convenient portals all the more glaring).

Leaving aside the Dino Gems becoming a deus ex machina that popped up with new powers whenever the plot required them to (short-circuiting the triptoids? The giant energy Tyrannosaurus? What the heck was that?).

And they dropped the ball on every major subplot they tried to handle. Zeltrax becomes somebody we've never met before that we really don't have much reason to care about, the threat of the evil White Ranger is negated in a subplot by accident (!) one day, the climactic battle featured a bobblehead. The only subplot that was developed and resolved in a satisfactory way was Cassidy and Ethan dating for a few episodes. Beyond that...

I also thought Mesogog was just lame. Tell us again, Meso, how everything that went wrong with today's plot was Elsa and Zeltrax's fault, even though they barely appeared in the episode and you yourself were face-to-face with the problem more than anyone else. Oh, and tell us how you're going to murder them for failing you, but then just forget to, for thirty-seven epsiodes in a row. It was not a well-written season, I just can't look at it and see anything other than that.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply