Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/02/14, 11:38 AM   #1
jaguarranger
Putty Patroller

Default Did Tommy help popularize the 6th Ranger role in Sentai?

I admit my knowledge of Sentai is far from complete, but from what I understand, until Burai in Zyuranger, any 6th Ranger only showed up for an episode or two. Then Burai comes along and sticks around until he dies.

We all know how popular Tommy was and still is amongst the Ranger fandom. This got me to thinking: could Toei have looked at Tommy's massive popularity in MMPR and decide to incorporate their own 6th Ranger into future seasons? After all, as far as I know, it's only AFTER Zyuranger that the 6th Ranger became a recurring thing in Sentai, with the exception of a couple of seasons.

So is the prominence of the 6th Ranger role in Sentai due to Tommy's popularity? Or is it simply a coincidence, or due to some other factor? Maybe Burai was popular in Japan?
jaguarranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 11:39 AM   #2
Thermite Kitten
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Did Tommy help popularize the 6th Ranger role in Sentai?

Burai and his storyline was pretty popular of their own accord, from the little I know about Zyuranger's response. Enough to warrant a repeat in Dairanger along with appealing to kids via Kibaranger.

Also, the 6th Ranger wasn't exactly 'let's do what we did with Burai/what the US did with Tommy' after that. Though Power Rangers generally made them fit the mold a bit better via inventive storytelling, Sentai was more experimental with how the extra additions joined and their roles in the series.

They could have still taken overseas popularity into consideration, but I really doubt it.
Thermite Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 11:40 AM   #3
TZMhero
Putty Patroller

Was Tommy really THAT popular though? Am I the only one that feels like nostalgia Goggles make Tommy the God of Power Rangers when, in reality, he was just a somewhat popular ranger? The guy was around longer than most of them, sure, but seriously, I don't think he was so freakishly popular that even japan thought he was the next best thing since sliced bread.
TZMhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 11:40 AM   #4
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321

Tommy was more popular in his time, than he ever was under nostalgia goggles.

Burai made the sixth ranger into a thing. Getting an extra ranger was so popular they tried it again, and again, and again until it became a mainstay. Basically if anything works or is popular, and they can afford to do it again, Toei will milk it for all its worth.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 11:41 AM   #5
Richardsone
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZMhero View Post
Was Tommy really THAT popular though? Am I the only one that feels like nostalgia Goggles make Tommy the God of Power Rangers when, in reality, he was just a somewhat popular ranger? The guy was around longer than most of them, sure, but seriously, I don't think he was so freakishly popular that even japan thought he was the next best thing since sliced bread.
There was a massive outcry when Tommy originally left the show, so much to the point that Saban had to pull JDF from the solo show (the original Metalder adaptation pilot, Cybertron) they were planning for him and rewrite him into the show somehow by way of Zyu2 footage.
Richardsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 11:42 AM   #6
Ataruman
Putty Patroller

The Burai storyline worked, and it worked well enough that Dai had Kou.

Kaku tried the concept in a different direction with Ninjaman, then they came back to it to bring in a bit more mythos (so I hear) with Riki.

Then Signalman went back to the Extra concept sort of like Ninjaman, then the next season they made it work beautifully with Yuusaku. Then the season after that they had a weird situation with BullBlack before using it with Hyuuga. Then after...well GoGo-V was meant to be a family team and they didn't want to ruin it so they just gave them something in a movie. Then Time sort of did something different with the Naoto story.

For the most part the 6th as we know it started with Shirogane and solidified by Tetsu. Then it became the mainstay we've seen outside certain variations (the Go-On Wings, Gosei Knight)
Ataruman is online now Report Post
Ataruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 11:43 AM   #7
Tokuman
Putty Patroller

Tommy? No... Just no. Never in a million freakin years.

Burai? Yeah, sure. From what I've seen Burai seems to be a really interesting character, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to stick with the sixth ranger idea with Dairanger, and after that it just stuck.
Tokuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 11:45 AM   #8
TheOriginalRanger
Putty Patroller

This is the only time i dont think nostalgia is a factor, Tommy was huge, i remember kids fighting on the school yard over who got to be Tommy, at my own birthday i got the dragonzord and half the kids cried because they wanted it, one even tried to steal it. one kid at my school actually attempted to steal my green ranger so yea he was a big deal and id say its even half the reason he is popular today
TheOriginalRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 11:45 AM   #9
Omega-Red
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZMhero View Post
No he wasn't "THAT" popular, he was 5,000 x more popular than "THAT". Kids from all across the world literally flooded Saban's office with letters to bring him back.
Omega-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/14, 01:00 PM   #10
MattEmily
Administrator

I personally think that Tommy's inclusion is just a coincidence when it comes to Toei finally making a 6th Ranger thing a more consistent thing. Dairanger would have already been in production so regardless of what Tommy did it wouldn't have made a dent on Dairanger itself and as we know Kakuranger didn't have a 6th Ranger and neither did Carranger but Carranger did technically have a 6th and 7th member but Toei itself doesn't really view VRV Master as anything special.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply