Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > General Fandom Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/26/14, 05:01 PM   #1
Cisco
Putty Patroller

Default Power Rangers prequel fan film

My name is Cisco and I thought I'd drop a line here to let you all know that I have been hard at work on a re-imagined Power Rangers prequel.

Any aspiring director will tell you what their "dream film" that they'd like to direct would be. Mine was always a remake of Power Rangers. Why? Just because. So instead of wait for the super unrealistic scenario that Saban Brands would call me out of the blue to direct a film for them I decided to make a fan film for fun with my friends just so I could knock this off my bucket list and move on with my life. I'm hoping I can have a trailer ready sometime late next week. I do have a few stills you can look at though.

This is just the work of a single fan that convinced a few friends to volunteer their time to help me create my vision.

It's a prequel that centers around two the quintessential characters that make up the backbone of the Power Ranger lore: Rita Repulsa and Zordon.

Here's a shot of my re-imagined version of Rita Repulsa. Note her tattoo...hmmm..curious...
Rita Repulsa official.jpg

And finally here's a promotional shot of Rita with two monsters she has unleashed.
Rita Repulsa - monster promo.jpg

Four weeks ago I didn't know a thing about how to incorporate 3D or CGI with my films. I thought it was a something over my head. But I never tried ... this project forced me to be brave enough to at least look into it and it turned out to not be as difficult as I thought it would be. Let's just say these last few weeks I've been pumping out some pretty neat looking shots! (Giant monsters? I'll take what I can get!)

Why am I sharing this with you all? Because you're all Power Rangers fans and I'm making this for you guys just as much as I'm making it for myself.

I'll keep you guys posted
Cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/14, 05:02 PM   #2
FE21
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Power Rangers prequel fan film

This is... actually interesting sounding. Just don't say your going to make it "PR, but dark and gritty!", and I think you'll get a good response.
FE21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/14, 05:04 PM   #3
Sean
Putty Patroller

I like your enthusiasm, but my God, we have seen so many "we're making a *blank* PR fanfilm" and it never amounts to anything but filler talk. Why can't anybody just make a fanfilm quietly and come to us when they have something to actually check out? So many people claim to make these and we never see a single frame of film. What's the point of claiming things without anything to present? I really don't get it. If you really want to make it, dude, go for it. But unless you have something to show, these words mean nothing. I'm sorry, but it's true.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/14, 05:08 PM   #4
Cisco
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE21 View Post
This is... actually interesting sounding. Just don't say your going to make it "PR, but dark and gritty!", and I think you'll get a good response.
Haha, I see what you did there! The way we see it at the end of the day it's still Power Rangers. We aren't not trying to redefine it or anything. I only want pay homage to it as a fan by re-imagining the origin of the series with a vision that is inspired by some of my favorite science fiction entertainment.

The way I see it, despite being centered around Earth in the beginning of the series, the Power Rangers universe is host to a vast array of planets and alien life forms. With this being a prequel we would like to explore what the Power Rangers universe could have been like as a fully living and breathing galactic civilization without Earth and Angel Grove as the setting. I went back and watched MMPR from the beginning and there were so many plot holes and references to something that has happened "10,000 years ago!" haha! I think it would be fun to explore my idea of what could have happened.

Zordon trapped Rita. Rita trapped Zordon in the time warp. Okay ... which came first, the chicken or the egg? We want to interpret and flesh out some of the backstory because we find it interesting.

Here is a shot of a galactic capital city on Phaedos (from the first MMPR movie).
Attachment 8374

The themes and visual inspiration for this short film have been influenced by Star Wars, Star Trek and video games like Mass Effect and Shadow of the Colossus.

When all's said and done though we're just doing a film project that we have fun making and would like to see ourselves. We just hope that when we share it you guys like it too!

And like I said in my first post we hope to have a trailer for you all late next week. I've had this project in the works for several weeks. Now that we've filmed some stuff it's safe to start talking about it.
Cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply