Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/26/14, 12:08 PM   #1
redspdranger
Putty Patroller

Default Forever Red or Legendary War, Which is the best anniversary celebration

So the much hyped legendary war episode has been aired and many fans have commented that it has not lived upto its expectations. But despite that it is said to be enjoyable if not legendary only because of the cameos of 11 past rangers. It was great to see them back after such a long time. But before this celebrations, there was yet another anniversary where past red rangers teamed up to defeat the machine empire for the one last time in wild force. That episode was Forever Red. Fans have a high regard for that episode. But my question is that which anniversary celebration fared better. Overhyped legendary war or the forever red. Both had ranger cameos, both have Tommy.Decision is yours guys. I'm gonna play a safe game over here.Because i have split decision on both episodes.It is time for you to vote.
redspdranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/14, 11:48 AM   #2
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: Forever Red or Legendary War, Which is the best anniversary celebration

Both have good things and bad things about them but overall I would have to go with Forever Red.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/14, 04:48 PM   #3
Dekoranger
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Forever Red or Legendary War, Which is the best anniversary celebration

This again feels like another thread where we get to bash on Super Megaforce again.

Of course i'm gonna say Forever Red, its no contest. Also you forgot Once a Ranger which was also an anniversary episode.
Dekoranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/14, 04:43 PM   #4
Antiyonder
Putty Patroller

Honestly, I don't know which to rank Once A Ranger at. To use the comparison loosely, like Boukenger VS Super Sentai, neither seemed like they were supposed to really be on par with their respective successors. I mean with a series that has the main team using the powers of past PR/SS heroes, and intends to use a higher number of cameos of the past heroes.

OO and Boukenger VS SS tend to be more modest in that for the most part going for only Rangers from the more recent series (sans Adam in PROO), rather than trying do an elaborate representation of all series/seasons. Heck, the closest we get to a Gaoranger in the Sentai Version is Akared turning into Gao Red.

But it is still valid for comparison, so since I cover LB, here goes OaR.

Now to give another point to FR that I left out, I think it helps that the episode wasn't nearly as hyped as LB. Heck, whereas the presence of FR and OaR arguably contributed to expectations of milestone seasons celebrating the franchise, prior to Forever Red's announcement, I never expected something like that for PR.

Not to mention, WF already did a team up with the previous serious and while the Super Sentai side can be pretty ambition overall with team ups, they tended to skip the more tradition ones when doing an anniversary special like Gaoranger VS Super Sentai. Heck, Reinforcements From the Future was the best team up episode since To the Tenth Power and The Power of Pink, but the lack of say a zord battle with American Footage demonstrated some cost cutting. Not that it's a low point, but it's a reason even back then that FR's announcement took me by surprise. Heck, Disney strongly objected to it, and it was only funded when the creative team reluctantly agreed to add in a new WF toy.

That said, I still place FR on top, but I can't really say whether OaR ranks equally with LB or is below. Even more underwhelming, but again, lack of hype on Disney's end, plus knowing that it was going to be Adam and the Disney Rangers only, helped to keep the expectations low. If there's any downer it's the mild representation of the past shows. Not the seasons lacking a Ranger to represent it. But aside from the Rangers we had the descendant of two MMPR villains and Alpha 6 who okay was part of 3 Seasons. With FR we had in addition to the past Rangers:

- Serpenterra (MMPR)
- Machine Empire generals and Cogs (PRZ and with the former also representing the entirety of Beetleborgs:-))
- Bulk & Skull (MMPR-PRLG)
- Rescue Rover (PRLR)
- Wild Force Rider (PRWF)*

Space has quite a bit of callbacks in the form of NASADA, The Astro Megaship and the Space Ranger/Psycho Ranger chess set.

Heck, we even get the added touch of having several generals voiced by Walter Jones, Catherine Sutherland and Archie Kao.

Now to give some appreciation where it's due, the Retro Team in OaR, just seem to work off each other quite well despite being from different seasons and not count some of them meeting in past team ups. And while the lack of a proper MMPR was missed, I feel that it was a good move to use the theme songs from Ninja Storm to Mystic Force.

*I kid, I kid.
Antiyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/14, 04:45 PM   #5
Charles RB
Putty Patroller

I'll take OaR over Legendary Battle because, like you said, the Retro Rangers play off each other well. ("I can't believe he's a doctor now.") And why? We see the buggers. They get to chat and show off their stuff and act like there's a reason they're there instead of Sentinel Knight hiring some dudes off the street. (It doesn't quite work as well as it should but I also like that the Retros are replacing the Overdrive team, there's a plot that affects the main cast)
Charles RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/14, 04:55 PM   #6
Charles RB
Putty Patroller

Forever Red. As everyone says, the returning Rangers get stuff to do. They all get their own unmorphed fight scene (except the two they didn't think they could get unmorphed), they get to show off their morphed fighting, they all get lines, and they interact with each other. Their lines aren't just about fighting the bad guys, you have Cole, Wes, and Eric being glad to see each other, you have TJ bigging up his old friend Tommy, you have Tommy and Jason getting their bro on, and Jason with Cole, and that whole scene at the end with the Rangers bantering. Andros and Carter don't get scenes like that - and Carter's banter is a bit crap - which marks them out as the professionals, they're different to the others.

The fights also have variety. The Reds get different unmorphed fights to show their stuff, and the morphed fights are different to each other. It's not just an extended minion fight where everyone's doing much the same moves.

And Forever Red has some swagger to it, which counts for a lot. It's an episode that goes "yeah, I;m being indulgent and it's AWESOME" so you only later think "wait a minute, how did....".

(Now if we'd had the extended cut of Forever Red that'd be TERRIBLE. "I met Lord Zedd and Rita!"/"Yeah?! So did I." is funny, having Bulk and Skull carry on listing characters for a whole minute is not funny.)
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
Charles RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/14, 04:56 PM   #7
Mason_Ireton
Putty Patroller

Hmm tough to choose, Forever was alright, the intros were good, Jason commenting on not bein familiar with some of the (at the time) current Rangers. The endin felt a bit unclimatic possibly cause it was a cop out to have the (at the time) new Red take down the baddie

Once a ranger was lil stronger, even though the veteran team contained disney Rangers, i had a feelin it was tryin to more of a simple episode and not a aniv, but the production (disney I think did OverDrive) focused on the aniv aspect

If legendary battle was the franchise finale then I'd say it was a stronger as focused on a legacy, not just bein a stepping stone for the franchise, they did their best with what they had. Sure the battle wasn't grand as it was hyped but still enjoyable
Mason_Ireton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/14, 04:59 PM   #8
AlwaysARanger
Putty Patroller

ya i wished the extended cut added more scenes of the war itself. IF it did i and i am sure others would feel it was better. Really if they had the actors there why didnt they film more with them how hard would it been to do a few fights with xborgs and slice it into the sentai footage.
AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/14, 05:01 PM   #9
BananaRama
Putty Patroller

Legendary War wins solely by not resolving the conflict with a motorcycle.
BananaRama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/14, 11:43 AM   #10
Captain Codfish
Power Ranger

"Legendary Battle" all the way! I like "Forever Red" but "Battle" just had more Rangers and was bigger in scale. The stakes felt higher. Its my favorite episode ever actually. It almost felt like a finalie for Power Rangers.
Captain Codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply