Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/14/14, 06:35 PM   #11
AkibaGold90
Putty Patroller

Default Re: How much imput does Saban really have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpice92 View Post
All that sounds entirely the fault of Tzachor. There are ways of doing it. Mighty Morphin may have been kitschy but it did really well. In my season 1 rewatch one of my favorite little moments was when Jason charged at the two-headed parrot monster and got shot down and the monster called him out on being a hypocrite for preaching about teamwork and then doing that. And they do use teamwork to win. Mighty Morphin is preachy as hell but it sticks to its convictions...usually.

It's a violent show aimed at really young kids, of course it's going to go out of its way to tell parents that it has good morals for kids. It's also why I'm assuming the Rangers never really got violent with characters like Bulk and Skull outside of the unaired pilot. The Rangers defended themselves but never actually thew punches and kicks at Bulk and Skull, and by the latter end of season 1 they dropped Bulk and Skull's aggressive behavior entirely. Fighting against fantastical creatures and aliens=okay .Imitable behavior teaching kids to solve their bully problems with violence=Not okay.

Heck look at how the violence in general, even at monsters, was toned down as the show progressed.
I did say "in the hands it's been in." Saban may have wanted the show to teach those morals, but their execution is all on Tzachor.

Disney claimed mom's hated Power Rangers because of the violence. That was their reason for axing the franchise. It just feels like Saban Brands wants to recreate the massive success of MMPR but without the public outcry over the violence.

Now this might just be me but I think that if a parent were concerned about what their kid is watching, they would care more about the violent content of the show rather than any moral. Especially when the show is trying to court children as young as two. FFS, the show is an instant Y-7 because of the violence yet they're aiming for preschoolers.

And yet they called Creepox a bully, thus teaching it's alright to kill bullies. Just kidding but that was some shit writing right there.

Think that's more reliant on the sentai footage and how it's adapted. Jungle Fury and Samurai were very violen
AkibaGold90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:38 PM   #12
MattEmily
Administrator

I do believe Saban does have some blame for the issues with Megaforce and especially Super Megaforce since he put his faith in his team that things would be fine for an anniversary season and decided not to pay much attention to it which I personally believe was a mistake on his part but I don't believe he actually handles much in the day-to-day operation of the Power Rangers process.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:38 PM   #13
ASpice92
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkibaGold View Post
I did say "in the hands it's been in." Saban may have wanted the show to teach those morals, but their execution is all on Tzachor.

Disney claimed mom's hated Power Rangers because of the violence. That was their reason for axing the franchise. It just feels like Saban Brands wants to recreate the massive success of MMPR but without the public outcry over the violence.

Now this might just be me but I think that if a parent were concerned about what their kid is watching, they would care more about the violent content of the show rather than any moral. Especially when the show is trying to court children as young as two. FFS, the show is an instant Y-7 because of the violence yet they're aiming for preschoolers.

And yet they called Creepox a bully, thus teaching it's alright to kill bullies. Just kidding but that was some shit writing right there.

Think that's more reliant on the sentai footage and how it's adapted. Jungle Fury and Samurai were very violen

Then Disney went and bought Marvel, go figure.

They probably do want to recreate Mighty Morphin Power Ranger's success but good luck with that with Avengers characters airing on Disney's outlets and then Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers seeing a resurgence in popularity where in 1993 those shows had died in popularity just in time for MMPR Mania to take over. MMPR benefited from little to no competition in 1993. You had the boring as tar X-men show on Fox Kids and Batman:The Animated Series, which was great but lacks the kind of appeal to spawns like Power Rangers does.

"My kid really likes this violent show but at least it teaches good morals in between punching that monster that is made of eyeballs"- Parents of Power Rangers fans or at least what Saban hopes for.

I knew some parents who flat out wouldn't let their kids watch Power Rangers because of the violence. I can't recall my parents taking too much issue with Power Rangers but they did like Sailor Moon's Sailor Says PSA's because of the "morals"

And I would call it really irresponsible of Saban Brands to court kids younger than 6 since about 4 and younger kids really don't understand the difference between fantasy and reality. Even MMPR seems more like it leaned toward 6-10, and it came out before the Y7-FV rating

Haven't seen most of Regular Megaforce, no comment.

Mmm I was thinking more MMPR. The show slowly starts phasing out the weapons and blade blasters after they relied less on Sentai footage (despite obviously having them for American footage) the unmorphed fights got replaced in season 3 with ninja fights which were a lot more fantastical; rangers zapping Tengas with finger blast or growing bigger or multiplying etc

Zeo, as I recall, removed the unmorphed fighting completely. Even when they reintroduced unmorphed fights in Turbo they were a lot less prominent than say season 2.

I know enough about the Disney seasons to know that they introduced civilian powers which seemed like Disney's own way to downplay the violence. Kids can imitate "Black Canary like scream" or turning invisible without punching their little sister.
ASpice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:42 PM   #14
AkibaGold90
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASpice92 View Post
Then Disney went and bought Marvel, go figure.

They probably do want to recreate Mighty Morphin Power Ranger's success but good luck with that with Avengers characters airing on Disney's outlets and then Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers seeing a resurgence in popularity where in 1993 those shows had died in popularity just in time for MMPR Mania to take over. MMPR benefited from little to no competition in 1993. You had the boring as tar X-men show on Fox Kids and Batman:The Animated Series, which was great but lacks the kind of appeal to spawns like Power Rangers does.

"My kid really likes this violent show but at least it teaches good morals in between punching that monster that is made of eyeballs"- Parents of Power Rangers fans or at least what Saban hopes for.

I knew some parents who flat out wouldn't let their kids watch Power Rangers because of the violence. I can't recall my parents taking too much issue with Power Rangers but they did like Sailor Moon's Sailor Says PSA's because of the "morals"

And I would call it really irresponsible of Saban Brands to court kids younger than 6 since about 4 and younger kids really don't understand the difference between fantasy and reality. Even MMPR seems more like it leaned toward 6-10, and it came out before the Y7-FV rating

Haven't seen most of Regular Megaforce, no comment.

Mmm I was thinking more MMPR. The show slowly starts phasing out the weapons and blade blasters after they relied less on Sentai footage (despite obviously having them for American footage) the unmorphed fights got replaced in season 3 with ninja fights which were a lot more fantastical; rangers zapping Tengas with finger blast or growing bigger or multiplying etc

Zeo, as I recall, removed the unmorphed fighting completely. Even when they reintroduced unmorphed fights in Turbo they were a lot less prominent than say season 2.

I know enough about the Disney seasons to know that they introduced civilian powers which seemed like Disney's own way to downplay the violence. Kids can imitate "Black Canary like scream" or turning invisible without punching their little .
Marvel brings in far more money than PR does, so fuck ethics.

Pretty much.

I had a classmate in college whose parents wouldn't let her watch. She told me the first time she got to actually watch it was, from what I can deduce, Wild Force.

And if you really want a kicker, here in Canada YTV dropped Mighty Morphin' after the first season due to parents complaining. They didn't air PR again until Samurai. Sure, Disney eras got put on Family, but through Time Force they never brought PR back. They aired Beetleborgs no problem. VR Troopers (which was more violent) and Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future (darker than PR has ever been), but never Power Rangers.

The reason they use the age of 7 is because that's when kids' minds, on average, gain the ability to differentiate between fantasy and reality. Also, I remember PR doing PSA's back in the day and disclaimers on FOX Kids about this.

And it wasn't a Monster of the Week either, it was an enemy general with a supposed rivalry with Troy.

They ran out of sentai footage for the suits, tried to make their own, found out how expensive it is and then said screw it. Toned down fights were a consequence of continuing with the Zyuranger suits, which turned out to be more expensive than they thought.

That's pretty much it. For all the crap people give civilian powers, I liked them as they added something to unmorphed fights...and that we got unmorphed.
AkibaGold90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:47 PM   #15
ASpice92
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkibaGold View Post
Marvel brings in far more money than PR does, so fuck ethics.

Pretty much.

I had a classmate in college whose parents wouldn't let her watch. She told me the first time she got to actually watch it was, from what I can deduce, Wild Force.

And if you really want a kicker, here in Canada YTV dropped Mighty Morphin' after the first season due to parents complaining. They didn't air PR again until Samurai. Sure, Disney eras got put on Family, but through Time Force they never brought PR back. They aired Beetleborgs no problem. VR Troopers (which was more violent) and Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future (darker than PR has ever been), but never Power Rangers.

The reason they use the age of 7 is because that's when kids' minds, on average, gain the ability to differentiate between fantasy and reality. Also, I remember PR doing PSA's back in the day and disclaimers on FOX Kids about this.

And it wasn't a Monster of the Week either, it was an enemy general with a supposed rivalry with Troy.

They ran out of sentai footage for the suits, tried to make their own, found out how expensive it is and then said screw it. Toned down fights were a consequence of continuing with the Zyuranger suits, which turned out to be more expensive than they thought.

That's pretty much it. For all the crap people give civilian powers, I liked them as they added something to unmorphed fights...and that we got unmorphed.
It's just interesting, to me, from everything I heard, that Disney thought Power Rangers didn't really fit with them but then they bought Star Wars and Marvel because they really weren't hitting the boy market like they wanted.

Power Rangers was more popular, more attention paid to it. Well, I think Beetleborgs actually beat Zeo in the ratings, but Beetleborgs never was the breakout hit that MMPR was.

I thought it was "Crap we need to keep the suits because the show is so damn popular!" and then "Our money factory is growing tired of MMPR.oooooh we like what the Sentai does...rebranding the show every year now!

It's not just that. The Rangers blade blasters, the things they had in their holsters in every episodes all the way through Rangers in Reverse, were never pulled out after the Sentai footage ran out, except maybe like twice (once wasn't even against a monster) despite theoretically being useable for American footage. The Ninja tricks downplays the unmorphed violence...the stuff that was American footage since day one. The weapons appeared in American footage a couple of times, so they COULD have used them but they pretty much never do.
ASpice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply