Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/14/14, 06:00 PM   #1
darkshadowranger
Putty Patroller

Default How much imput does Saban really have?

I seem to notice that Saban himself gets a lot of the blame for SMF and how PR has been over the last 4 years since the revival of the show and not Saban as a brand. So what I would love to know is how much input and involvement do you think Saban actually has on the show?

Is he the one to blame or is it on the producers and directors/writers etc?

I personally think Saban has very little involvement outside budget and important things. He would be running the company from his offices in LA while the show is filmed half way across the world in NZ.
darkshadowranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:02 PM   #2
Crazy Davey2
Putty Patroller

Default Re: How much imput does Saban really have?

Considering Tzachor f'd everything up and got fired for it, I'm not sure his eye isn't always on the show. He probably gives a few notes at what he wants in it, though.
Crazy Davey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:05 PM   #3
Varia
Putty Patroller

I think he's probably on the board for most of the big meetings and decisions, like choosing which seasons to skip or keep, and I imagine he has a decent bit of say in the new season once a year, but I don't imagine much more than that.
Varia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:10 PM   #4
Oceanblue
Putty Patroller

Saban is a business man. I think Varia described it well above.

He probably keeps his eye on things, but from a distance. He's not directly involved in the production, though he probably does give a few notes here and there. He owns the brand, but he's not a showrunner. I think Saban himself is more concerned with budget, profit, marketing, etc.

At least, that's how I perceive it. I could be way off. I'm sure he has an influence on the show itself, but as with most things in this world, it's kind of a bureaucracy.
Oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:13 PM   #5
johnboy34
Putty Patroller

As chairman of Saban Capital Group, Haim Saban has as much or as little input as he damn well pleases. Like most rich people, he has the good sense to delegate those responsibilities to other people, only stepping in if he feels the matter warrants his direct involvement.
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:18 PM   #6
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Roberto Orci pointed out in an interview pretty much what goes on. Haim Saban has clear messages that he wants Power Rangers to convey (friendship, teamwork fitness), which is why Orci went to him personally to sign off on what the plan is for the new feature film, so that it doesn't betray any of the vision that the series was founded on (no dark and gritty, fanboys).

But Haim Saban has no bearing at all on how exactly that story is delivered. He's left those tasks to the people he's aligned himself with over the years, from Shuki Levy to Jonathan Tzachor.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:19 PM   #7
ASpice92
Putty Patroller

I remember reading somewhere that Karan Ashley during the filming of season 2 said hi to Haim Saban and he didn't even recognize her, this was when the show was at its hottest.

The man is not directly involved with the show, he just throws money, makes business arrangements, and tells the people in charge he wants the show to promote good social messages like take care of the environment, teamwork, eat healthy, all that good stuff for kids.

From what I understand, Shuki Levy was the actual showrunner for the first 9 years and then you had the story editors who plotted out the seasonal arcs: Tony Oliver, Doug Sloan, and Judd Lynn. Like it was Shuki Levy's idea that the show needed a kid Ranger for Turbo or that Megaranger should be adapted into a space series or that Lost Galaxy should continue to be a space series despite the source material because In Space did so well.

And now you have Jonathan Tzachor whose modus oprendi seems to be "adapt the Sentai as closely as possible because it's cheap and easy"

Whatever you feel about the modern seasons that's Tzachor and his story editor(s).

Maybe Elie Dekel but I think he's just in charge of marketing. I believe he's the guy who thinks the show needs to emulate MMPR, but going on Super Megaforce, they're not really following that ideal.
ASpice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:21 PM   #8
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321

Today? Very little. His role from back in the day has been taken over by Ellie Dekel. Now Haim is just a guy in an office collecting a check for being there and signing papers.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:23 PM   #9
AkibaGold90
Putty Patroller

You know, I think that's a pretty damaging piece of input. At least, in the hands it's been in. Yeah, teamwork's a good thing to teach, don't get me wrong, but it feels that to push that message the show has shot itself in the foot so many goddamn times.

Take for instance Mike in Forest for the Trees. The show treats it like he's always rebellious when in fact it comes across as out-of-character. Makes sense for Chiaki in Shinkenger but the required elements were tossed out to make way for teamwork messages. There's when Emma breaks a promise to Gia by sending the photo to the newspaper. Shows Emma can be a real jerk but it's not called out because her and Gia are such "good friends." Insert Psycho Emma joke here. Or Troy in Spirit of the Tiger. He's all like "Don't find another way to fight, follow my orders" and never apologizes to Noah after praising Emma/Jake for finding a new way to beat the enemy. Sure he says something to the effect of "I should listen to you guys more" but that really highlights Troy's weaknesses as a leader considering he'd been a ranger for over a year at that point..

To me, characters having distinct personalities which come into conflict work better for a teamwork message. Like, they can put aside their differences to accomplish their goals rather. It's more realistic, makes for better characters and so fourth.

Again, this is most likely more Tzachor's handling of the moral, but here's my other big issue here. Kids don't watch for the morals. Kids watch because it's fun. It's like, kids didn't watch the Magic Schoolbus primarily to learn. Have a good message, I'm not saying you can't, but don't shoehorn it into where it doesn't belong. It's not the main draw to the show, so don't put it into the spotlight.

Now, before anyone tries to rebut that the show isn't putting the moral into the spotlight check out the main PR website and the PR section on Bandai's website. The former has a section dedicated to expressing the morals PR teaches, the latter has a "For Parents" section that uses the same thing as to why PR is right for their child. I don't know, but that seems to me like Saban Brands is more concerned about how much parents like the show rather than their kids.

Sorry, just wanted to get this off my chest for awhile
AkibaGold90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/14, 06:26 PM   #10
ASpice92
Putty Patroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkibaGold View Post
You know, I think that's a pretty damaging piece of input. At least, in the hands it's been in. Yeah, teamwork's a good thing to teach, don't get me wrong, but it feels that to push that message the show has shot itself in the foot so many goddamn times.

Take for instance Mike in Forest for the Trees. The show treats it like he's always rebellious when in fact it comes across as out-of-character. Makes sense for Chiaki in Shinkenger but the required elements were tossed out to make way for teamwork messages. There's when Emma breaks a promise to Gia by sending the photo to the newspaper. Shows Emma can be a real jerk but it's not called out because her and Gia are such "good friends." Insert Psycho Emma joke here. Or Troy in Spirit of the Tiger. He's all like "Don't find another way to fight, follow my orders" and never apologizes to Noah after praising Emma/Jake for finding a new way to beat the enemy. Sure he says something to the effect of "I should listen to you guys more" but that really highlights Troy's weaknesses as a leader considering he'd been a ranger for over a year at that point..

To me, characters having distinct personalities which come into conflict work better for a teamwork message. Like, they can put aside their differences to accomplish their goals rather. It's more realistic, makes for better characters and so fourth.

Again, this is most likely more Tzachor's handling of the moral, but here's my other big issue here. Kids don't watch for the morals. Kids watch because it's fun. It's like, kids didn't watch the Magic Schoolbus primarily to learn. Have a good message, I'm not saying you can't, but don't shoehorn it into where it doesn't belong. It's not the main draw to the show, so don't put it into the spotlight.

Now, before anyone tries to rebut that the show isn't putting the moral into the spotlight check out the main PR website and the PR section on Bandai's website. The former has a section dedicated to expressing the morals PR teaches, the latter has a "For Parents" section that uses the same thing as to why PR is right for their child. I don't know, but that seems to me like Saban Brands is more concerned about how much parents like the show rather than their kids.

Sorry, just wanted to get this off my chest for awhile
All that sounds entirely the fault of Tzachor. There are ways of doing it. Mighty Morphin may have been kitschy but it did really well. In my season 1 rewatch one of my favorite little moments was when Jason charged at the two-headed parrot monster and got shot down and the monster called him out on being a hypocrite for preaching about teamwork and then doing that. And they do use teamwork to win. Mighty Morphin is preachy as hell but it sticks to its convictions...usually.

It's a violent show aimed at really young kids, of course it's going to go out of its way to tell parents that it has good morals for kids. It's also why I'm assuming the Rangers never really got violent with characters like Bulk and Skull outside of the unaired pilot. The Rangers defended themselves but never actually thew punches and kicks at Bulk and Skull, and by the latter end of season 1 they dropped Bulk and Skull's aggressive behavior entirely. Fighting against fantastical creatures and aliens=okay .Imitable behavior teaching kids to solve their bully problems with violence=Not okay.

Heck look at how the violence in general, even at monsters, was toned down as the show progressed.
ASpice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply