Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 01/06/15, 01:21 PM   #21
XDestinyX
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Update on MMPR Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizagaox View Post
Thuy and Trini aren't the same person.
This is an interesting subject. MMPRs1 was pretty unique in that it didn't go down the typical route's of completely fictional characters or cameos; the characters seemingly were based off the actors themselves to some unquantifiable degree.

I have read comment's that the MMPRs1 characters were sometimes twisted simply to fit a plot and also that the actors were told to just be themselves.

I personally don't think Trini should be recast; I believe one has to make a call on how much a character was defined by the actor playing them and in Trini's case, I believe Ms Trang defined Trini.

It is open to debate though, as to whether that means we should never see or hear of Trini again, whether we should hear of her but not see her again (outside of things like Dino Thunders Legacy of Power), or whether she should be killed on or off screen and how far into it the aftermath the show goes. The point of this last paragraph is meant to indicate that I'm not yet opposed or in favour of the earlier mentioned comment about the show officially killing the character.
XDestinyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/15, 01:24 PM   #22
johnboy34
Putty Patroller

The problem isn't the simple concept of killing Trini. It's the fact that, in all likelihood, Trini wouldn't be the one getting killed if Thuy Trang was still with us. The death of the character is motivated by the death of the actor, even though the fact of the general recasting means there's no practical reason for such motivation. I find that to be in very poor taste.
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/15, 01:25 PM   #23
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizagaox View Post
Looks like these are images from the set:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvBpztQCAAEgHR2.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuvbTKKCcAEhujx.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuZ8UQACUAAYrqY.jpg

Joseph calls it the “greatest tampon commercial ever made” on Twitter.

It was a 7 day shoot.

And from what I gather, Joseph was hired to film it by another producer/production company (Saban Brands I imagine?). It's not a passion project or fanfilm.
This is the issue, you're speculating Saban Brands hired him. That's what needs verification. Because Saban Brands wouldn't spend the money to make something like this, especially while making a new season of the show and having Lionsgate working on the movie.

You say they have onset photos with Katee Sackhoff, yet don't produce them when showing off your photos. If you can't reveal the evidence, why even start talking about it? That just makes you look non-credible in the first place or like you're stalling at the very least. It's not that I don't believe you, just that your actions raise questions.

I can however, totally buy him making a PR themed video. As a commercial or short fan film or music video, but not at the employ of Saban Brands.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/15, 01:27 PM   #24
johnboy34
Putty Patroller

I'm torn. On one level, this skepticism is healthy, if only because the PR brand (Hell, even the Super Sentai brand as a whole) has never done something like this before. On another... who would put forth enough money to make this if not Saban? Your average fan couldn't afford it. An actual studio wouldn't dare do it without Saban's consent. If it was a Bat in the Sun-style short, or a College Humor skit, then why would it be labeled as a "spec" work on the crew's resumes? What could it be "speculative" of that wouldn't require Saban's involvement?
Old 01/06/15, 01:28 PM   #25
Titanium321
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Titanium321

I would imagine since he is a fan and a working director, he could probably pull the money together to make this. Possibly as an audtion to get the Lionsgate movie gig. That would make spec work make sense.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/15, 01:29 PM   #26
johnboy34
Putty Patroller

True, but Diz's source said that he was hired for the job. Granted, the source could simply be wrong, but at that point we could question the existence of the film as a whole. Only time will tell, I suppose.
Old 01/06/15, 01:30 PM   #27
SnoopsWarner
Putty Patroller

Send a message via AIM to Sadsmileyface Send a message via MSN to Sadsmileyface
His Tweets do make mention of the fact that he's "paying out of his own pocket" for overtime on it and that he's doing "shots in my garage".
SnoopsWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/15, 01:32 PM   #28
archer9234
Putty Patroller

really don't get the logic here. Kim is being played by another person. So what is the issue with just having Trini be alive like normally, and not go near the who dead stuff. What's the point?

Are they gonna also have Udonna do this, since Peta Rutter died too. Bad taste. Does this also mean that Aisha would get into the show, with the MMPR S1 cast. Is the team gonna be all screwed up? Kim is leading. That means Jason had to affected by her death. Tommy walked?
archer9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/15, 01:34 PM   #29
Citrus
Putty Patroller

Exactly.

If this was some sort of meta look at the PRU--Aisha was upset at Zordon for forgetting her name, Billy was angry at Alpha for discrimination, etc etc then I could at least understand what they were going for.

Instead, they single out Trini because of Thuy's death, which there's no good reason to do when recasting. I mean, was Ernie killed while building that bridge in the Amazon?
Citrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/15, 01:36 PM   #30
sonicblueranger
Putty Patroller

Every single thing that comes out makes this seem like a horrible piece of shit and I keep getting more and more worried it's real.

Because we all want the bright colorful world of spandex teen's fighting Japanese footage turned into Grimdark bullshit. yay. God forbid something be fun.
sonicblueranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply