Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05/19/00, 02:38 PM   #1
Stephen!
Putty Patroller

Default MMPR2 question

[Season 2 Question]
In the early Season 2 Zord fights, it's obvious the monster is actually firing at the DinoMegaZord and not the ThunderMegaZord.

Eg. In "Green no more" only DragonZord is shown in the same shots as TurbanShell.If so, Why did Toei bother creating extra DinoMegaZord footage for Saban, for these episodes,if it was going to be replaced by spliced in DaiRanger footage of the ThunderMegaZord ?

Were the episodes left over footage from Season 1 ?
Examples:
Mutiny Part 3
The Wannabe Ranger
Green No more
The Beetle Invasion
The Green Dream
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/00, 02:38 PM   #2
Justin Lam
Putty Patroller

Default Re: MMPR2 question

This question has been asked before, and to my knowledge nobody really knows the definite answer. My opinion is that Saban simply requested more Zyuranger-style footage, thinking that they could keep up their current mode of operation indefinitely.
After that came the move to integrate the Dairanger mecha, which came too late to stop Toei from filming the extra Zyuranger sequences. This is the only explantion I can come up with - it certainly doesn't make any sense for Saban to simply request more Zyuranger footage just so they can chop it up and paste Dairanger sequences in.
Justin Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/00, 02:38 PM   #3
miko
Putty Patroller

I thought it was answered but here you go....Saban did request more footage of ZyuRanger for Toei to film, which Toei did. It started to get to expensive for Saban to keep buying extra ZyuRanger footage from Toei so Saban started to make his own American morphed footage and when DaiRanger ended he started to splice its footage up to use with his own American made morphed Ranger footage. So yes that footage that you asked about was extra footage done by Toei for Saban which he had left over and used in that way. I'm sure there is plenty of footage that Toei shot for Saban specifically back then that he either never used or saved to use for something else. Hope that makes sense. ^_^
miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/00, 02:38 PM   #4
Red Racer
Putty Patroller

>I thought it was answered but here you go....Saban did request
more footage of
>ZyuRanger for Toei to film, which Toei did. It started to get
to expensive for
>Saban to keep buying extra ZyuRanger footage from Toei so Saban
started to make
>his own American morphed footage and when DaiRanger ended he
started to splice
>its footage up to use with his own American made morphed Ranger
footage. So yes
>that footage that you asked about was extra footage done by
Toei for Saban which
>he had left over and used in that way. I'm sure there is
plenty of footage that
>Toei shot for Saban specifically back then that he either never
used or saved to
>use for something else. Hope that makes sense. ^_^

That still didn't answer the question of why Saban just didn't
keep in the footage the way it was filmed with the Dino Megazord.
Red Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/19/00, 02:38 PM   #5
Stephen!
Putty Patroller

It probably would have been better for them to keep the Dino MegaZord for a few episodes and then switch to the ThunderMega as Zedd`s monsters became more powerful.
Old 05/20/00, 02:38 PM   #6
Ecliptor17
Putty Patroller

>I'm sure there is plenty of footage that
>Toei shot for Saban specifically back then that he either never used or saved
>to
>use for something else.

Miko, are you saying that un-used ZyuRanger footage that Toei shot exclusively for Saban "may" still exist? If so, my goodness... this would be an awesome way to incorporate the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers into next year's incarnation -- that is, if our heroes do travel back in time to stop an evil menace. What about the original actors you ask? Well... if the menace screws with time, who's to say that Jason & Co. would ultimately become PR. It could be an entirely new team that Saban could easily pull from off the streets and bring into the studio. What an excellent idea!
Ecliptor17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/00, 02:38 PM   #7
Justin Lam
Putty Patroller

>I thought it was answered but here you go....Saban did request more footage of
>ZyuRanger for Toei to film, which Toei did. It started to get to expensive for
>Saban to keep buying extra ZyuRanger footage from Toei so Saban started to make
>his own American morphed footage and when DaiRanger ended he started to splice
>its footage up to use with his own American made morphed Ranger footage. So yes
>that footage that you asked about was extra footage done by Toei for Saban which
>he had left over and used in that way. I'm sure there is plenty of footage that

>Toei shot for Saban specifically back then that he either never used or saved to
>use for something else. Hope that makes sense. ^_^
>

I believe the question was not if Toei made the footage, but rather why Saban chose to edit the footage to include the Thunder Megazord. The question is, Toei makes this footage including the Megazord, Saban then introduces Dairanger mecha, making it necessary for Saban to edit every episode to cut out the original Megazord and edit in Dairanger footage of the Thunder Megazord. If Saban made the decision to switch to Dairanger footage before Toei filmed the new Zyuranger scenes, why do the new Zyuranger scenes still feature the original Megazord that will only be cut anyway? If Toei filmed the new Zyuranger scenes first, why did Saban switch to the Thunder Megazord, making tons more work for his employees?
Justin Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/00, 02:38 PM   #8
miko
Putty Patroller

>Miko, are you saying that un-used ZyuRanger footage that Toei shot exclusively
>for Saban "may" still exist? If so, my goodness... this would be an awesome way
>to incorporate the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers into next year's incarnation
>-- that is, if our heroes do travel back in time to stop an evil menace. What
>about the original actors you ask? Well... if the menace screws with time,
>who's to say that Jason & Co. would ultimately become PR. It could be an
>entirely new team that Saban could easily pull from off the streets and bring
>into the studio. What an excellent idea!

There's ALWAYS unused footage in every series/movie created is. Remember the unused footage of C2D? Every company does this, their editing team edits out "extra" material they might see as unuseful or un-important to the basic plot of a story. Now as fans of these series/movies people might agree or disagree with that I guess. ^_^
miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/00, 02:38 PM   #9
Stephen!
Putty Patroller

Footage from Zyu Ep23 [Episode Between Green With evil & shell shocked]
was never used. This was actually the first time DragonZord Battle mode was used in ZyuRanger. But some reason the footage was never used. synopis below.

Episode #23 "Love-You Magic Pitching" Anyone who has swallowed DoraPixie's magic baseball becomes blindly in love with anything in first sight. Zyurangers struggle to
beat DoraPixie, as Dan, Boy, and Goushi happen to swallow his magic baseball...
Old 01/20/18, 02:55 PM   #10
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen! View Post
[Season 2 Question] In the early Season 2 Zord fights, it's obvious the monster is actually firing at the DinoMegaZord and not the ThunderMegaZord.

Eg. In "Green no more" only DragonZord is shown in the same shots as TurbanShell.If so, Why did Toei bother creating extra DinoMegaZord footage for Saban, for these episodes,if it was going to be replaced by spliced in DaiRanger footage of the ThunderMegaZord ?

Were the episodes left over footage from Season 1 ?
Examples:
Mutiny Part 3
The Wannabe Ranger
Green No more
The Beetle Invasion
The Green Dream
the footage was paid for and Toei had finished it before Saban decided on switching gears but for the record it wasn't just those 2nd season eps it was also
Putty on the Brain, Bloom of Doom, Power Stealer, Venus Island and Song of Guitardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by miko View Post
I thought it was answered but here you go... Saban did request more footage of ZyuRanger for Toei to film, which Toei did. It started to get to expensive for Saban to keep buying extra ZyuRanger footage from Toei so Saban started to make his own American morphed footage and when DaiRanger ended he started to splice its footage up to use with his own American made morphed Ranger footage. So yes that footage that you asked about was extra footage done by Toei for Saban which he had left over and used in that way. I'm sure there is plenty of footage that Toei shot for Saban specifically back then that he either never used or saved to use for something else.
not only requested but it wad paid for by Saban but yes when they wanted to switch gears (not so much when Dairanger ended since that was still airing) they decided to do what they did and didn't opt for more Zyu3 footage since it was just easier to shoot the footage themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Racer View Post
That still didn't answer the question of why Saban just didn't keep in the footage the way it was filmed with the Dino Megazord.
we'll never know but I suppose a lot of it has to do with merchandise reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecliptor17 View Post
Miko, are you saying that un-used ZyuRanger footage that Toei shot exclusively for Saban "may" still exist? If so, my goodness... this would be an awesome way to incorporate the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers into next year's incarnation -- that is, if our heroes do travel back in time to stop an evil menace. What about the original actors you ask? Well... if the menace screws with time, who's to say that Jason & Co. would ultimately become PR. It could be an entirely new team that Saban could easily pull from off the streets and bring into the studio. What an excellent idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Lam View Post
I believe the question was not if Toei made the footage, but rather why Saban chose to edit the footage to include the Thunder Megazord. The question is, Toei makes this footage including the Megazord, Saban then introduces Dairanger mecha, making it necessary for Saban to edit every episode to cut out the original Megazord and edit in Dairanger footage of the Thunder Megazord. If Saban made the decision to switch to Dairanger footage before Toei filmed the new Zyuranger scenes, why do the new Zyuranger scenes still feature the original Megazord that will only be cut anyway? If Toei filmed the new Zyuranger scenes first, why did Saban switch to the Thunder Megazord, making tons more work for his employees?
I think it's more the other way that the decision to go to the new mecha came after the Toei footage was already completed so Saban couldn't really do anything other than what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen! View Post
Footage from Zyu Ep23 [Episode Between Green With evil & shell shocked]
was never used. This was actually the first time DragonZord Battle mode was used in ZyuRanger. But some reason the footage was never used. synopis below.

Episode #23 "Love-You Magic Pitching" Anyone who has swallowed DoraPixie's magic baseball becomes blindly in love with anything in first sight. Zyurangers struggle to
beat DoraPixie, as Dan, Boy, and Goushi happen to swallow his magic baseball...
not quite. we saw the footage of Dora Pixie since he was Babe Ruthless they just didn't adapt the story.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply