Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 10/21/17, 08:07 PM   #11
Anti Hexagon
Putty Patroller

Default Re: White Ranger really not that powerful

He was overpowered in season 2, second half. It was more balanced in season 3. It was all set right in Zeo. In Turbo he didn't get enough focus after the movie. FR gave Tommy himself ridiculous power in universe. DT was really good with Tommy. Although i would have rather seen Oliver as just a mentor. With someone else as Black Ranger.
Anti Hexagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/17, 08:11 PM   #12
White Tiger Fan
Power Ranger

I think Amit would have had Tommy exclusively as mentor for most of the season. Trent would have been Black Ranger. White Ranger would have been closer to his Sentai counterpart with some original slant. Just a feeling I have. Since Amit never actually got a chance to work on DinoThunder.

As for Tommy being over powered...I think he was as White Ranger. But that was the point. It was an award for the fans after suffering through his power loss storylines. And a way to captilze on Tommy 's super character status. He was only White Ranger for a year and a half . And during that point they had a major cast change. All the more reasom to lean on Tommy for awhile.
White Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/17, 09:41 PM   #13
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Green Spandex View Post
Tommy as White killed the character. And really overshadowed almost everything in season 2 and 3. He was way over powered. Saba shouldn't have been powerful enough to destroy those monsters. And he was still Tommy's weapon. Look at how he made Goldar into a stooge. He even beat Zedd. Tommy was at his worst as White Ranger. Not that Zeo still didn't suffer because of him.
I don't necessarily agree. Yes it's true that the White Ranger was overpowered but that was only in MMPR2 and I truly believe that was because of the Light of Goodness whereas he wasn't overpowered in MMPR3 since Ninjor didn't know how much power he had since he wouldn't have been familiar with the Light and of course Saba should've had that much power regardless of who it belonged to. It was already overpowered to begin with due to the Dairanger footage.
Yes Tommy did do regular beatings on Goldar and Rito but those wins were generally more fair since they were physical fights and yes he did beat Zedd but you do have to keep in mind that Zedd himself wasn't a fighter he relied on his magic which came from his Staff which is what Saba broke.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/17, 10:10 PM   #14
Lord Zedd
Putty Patroller

I think Tommy got lucky and Zedd underestimated him.
Lord Zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/17, 10:27 PM   #15
Delta Max
Comic Relief

They gave up on making Zedd a true threat by that point . Which was a mistake. Zedd became a glorified Sitcom dad.

That said it was pretty cool seeing Tommy actually defeat Zedd! As it was pretty shocking. Tommy was just powerful, especially as White. I see no problem with that since Tommy was just a major character.
Delta Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/17, 10:33 PM   #16
Forever Jason
Ranger In Training

I think things would have been a bit different if the originals remained through the end of MMPR. Jason would have still been featured and likely not demoted in post production. Tommy would have still be powerful but everyone else would have got more focus
Forever Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/17, 10:46 PM   #17
Hailey Ziktor
Ranger In Training

I don't get why some people like to bash Tommy for being popular. He was one of the stronger characters out of the originals anyway. And when his time passed, they gave the character a long break. Its not like they never focused on other characters during his White Ranger run.
Hailey Ziktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/17, 10:51 PM   #18
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zedd View Post
I think Tommy got lucky and Zedd underestimated him.
exactly it was dumb luck with him throwing Saba at Zedd and it breaking his Staff he had no way of knowing that and also wouldn't have any way of knowing that Zedd would've used his Staff to attempt a block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Max View Post
They gave up on making Zedd a true threat by that point . Which was a mistake. Zedd became a glorified Sitcom dad.
True but that wasn't their fault that was the fault of the Soccer Parents who were complaining that Lord Zedd was too scary for their kids
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/17, 11:57 PM   #19
Jen's Revenge
Power Ranger

Yeah they ruined Lord Zedd. I wasn't a big fan of Tommy. So it was a little annoying to see him get so much screen time.
Jen's Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/17, 08:34 AM   #20
Fanboy Supreme
Comic Relief

No he wasn't overpowered and that's the final word on the matter. A mod should close this thread and sticky it for a day. Just so people see this response.
Fanboy Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply