Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 01/27/18, 06:10 PM   #1
MMPR Forever
Power Ranger

Default More Zyu Footage

The thread about the Black Dragon Dragon Shield footage has me scratching my head. Toei did such a great job with the Zyu2 footage and Saban's company did a great job extending season 1 with it. Why couldn't they have done the same thing for season 4? Just have Toei keep making Zyu 2 Footage?
MMPR Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/18, 06:11 PM   #2
Massive Ego
Power Ranger

Default Re: More Zyu Footage

Its simple really. To steal from our friend Maligore, Saban was "too cheap" to pay for more Zyu reshoots.
Massive Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/18, 06:14 PM   #3
MMPR Fan
Comic Relief

I agree they should have used Zyu 3 footage for Season 2 and kept going. Toei could have kept shooting more footage. And you could do another Toku Series with the other Sentais.
MMPR Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/18, 07:32 PM   #4
Zabitan
Administrator

I would have liked it if they kept with the greek mythology theme, and monsters like Typhon, and Echidna.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 01:20 AM   #5
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPR Forever View Post
The thread about the Black Dragon Dragon Shield footage has me scratching my head. Toei did such a great job with the Zyu2 footage and Saban's company did a great job extending season 1 with it. Why couldn't they have done the same thing for season 4? Just have Toei keep making Zyu 2 Footage?
because 1. it was too much money and 2. the ratings for Season 3 weren't justifying a need to keep the suits any longer. They felt changing to Ohranger stuff including the suits would also be the better bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Ego View Post
Its simple really. To steal from our friend Maligore, Saban was "too cheap" to pay for more Zyu reshoots.
yes they're so cheap that the Command Center set was destroyed just so they could build a larger more expensive one on top of which they paid the rights to obtain the crossover and movie footage which is generally something that they can't do since it's too expensive on top of that they had to pay any fees for the Ohranger villain suits regardless of whether they were renting them out or paying for them on top of that they had to pay for any necessary material to repair the suits since Toei doesn't repair the suits for them they just pack them up and ship them off and Saban has to deal with whatever condition they arrive in whether it was from just Toei's usage or the combination of Toei's usage and the shipping process.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 04:42 AM   #6
Miki1988
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPR Forever View Post
To be honest, if I would be one who's in charge, I would have ditched the Zyuranger suits and the Kibaranger suit starting with "Ninja Quest, Part III". Then have the team morph from their Ninja Modes directly to Kakuranger suits, but with all the original footage that we got. Just have Tommy injured so badly that he can't continue being a Ranger, but keep him as a recurring character. Then just set him up for his arrowhead storyline somehow in the following season, with the Zeo sub crystal search taking place in different circumstances. The rest would be the same, with Rocky taking the team leadership position once it's Kat's turn to become a Ranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattEmily View Post
because 1. it was too much money and 2. the ratings for Season 3 weren't justifying a need to keep the suits any longer. They felt changing to Ohranger stuff including the suits would also be the better bet.

yes they're so cheap that the Command Center set was destroyed just so they could build a larger more expensive one on top of which they paid the rights to obtain the crossover and movie footage which is generally something that they can't do since it's too expensive on top of that they had to pay any fees for the Ohranger villain suits regardless of whether they were renting them out or paying for them on top of that they had to pay for any necessary material to repair the suits since Toei doesn't repair the suits for them they just pack them up and ship them off and Saban has to deal with whatever condition they arrive in whether it was from just Toei's usage or the combination of Toei's usage and the shipping process.
Well, after 155 episodes, it was time to change the set anyway, because you can't have the characters talking to the same stock footage of a guy pretending to be a giant floating head and also have him stock-footage-mentor those same characters forever. Besides, I'm even surprised that they managed to keep the CC set on the show for as long as they did.
Miki1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 12:23 PM   #7
Bandora's Ghost
Ranger In Training

It would have been cool if they did this. But they did alreasy do a lot, so I understand why they didn't spend more money on Zyu3 footage.
Bandora's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 12:59 PM   #8
No Green Spandex
Power Ranger

Zyu2 served its purpose. There was no need for more Zyu Footage with the other Sentai's to adapt. They needed more toys and something to get out of the slump they got in during season 3. So changing things up to match the Sentai Footage made sense.
No Green Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 01:12 PM   #9
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki1988 View Post
To be honest, if I would be one who's in charge, I would have ditched the Zyuranger suits and the Kibaranger suit starting with "Ninja Quest, Part III". Then have the team morph from their Ninja Modes directly to Kakuranger suits, but with all the original footage that we got. Just have Tommy injured so badly that he can't continue being a Ranger, but keep him as a recurring character. Then just set him up for his arrowhead storyline somehow in the following season, with the Zeo sub crystal search taking place in different circumstances. The rest would be the same, with Rocky taking the team leadership position once it's Kat's turn to become a Ranger.

Well, after 155 episodes, it was time to change the set anyway, because you can't have the characters talking to the same stock footage of a guy pretending to be a giant floating head and also have him stock-footage-mentor those same characters forever. Besides, I'm even surprised that they managed to keep the CC set on the show for as long as they did.
they didn't want to ditch Tommy as a Ranger and their leader so you wouldn't have been allowed to you would've been fired for even suggesting such a thing. JDF was pretty much Haim Saban's guy so if you didn't do something to benefit his character then you wouldn't be a writer with the show to begin with anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Green Spandex View Post
Zyu2 served its purpose. There was no need for more Zyu Footage with the other Sentai's to adapt. They needed more toys and something to get out of the slump they got in during season 3. So changing things up to match the Sentai Footage made sense.
yup that's true it served its purpose granted I would've enjoyed seeing a battle featuring the Dino Megazord and Dragonzord against Rita, Finster, Squatt and Baboo and yes they needed more merchandise just having the zords wouldn't have added much to the merchandise even if you do count Auric as a zord like Bandai does.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/18, 01:29 PM   #10
No Green Spandex
Power Ranger

I like his idea to have Tommy sit out as a Ranger for a year. It may have rehabbed his character. If Saban really thought the way you said, he was hurting his own brand.
No Green Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply