Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/02/14, 12:17 PM   #1
Cyrax9
Putty Patroller

Default Saban Brands and ToOger

I really don't see the ToQger suits/mecha as looking "too childish;" if anything, their minimalist aesthetic actually makes them look a bit more mature than the Kyouryuger suits/mecha. PRiS and PRTF had equally minimalist suit designs, (as did PRS/PRSS for that matter,) and both of those seasons are held in high regard by long–time fans, (younger fans similarly love PRS/PRSS,) so I don't think the suit aesthetic is an issue. As for the helmets, I don't think the "track visors" are any weirder than PRTF's "inverted" visors, the Kanji symbols of PRS/PRSS, or really anything else we've seen over the years. It's true that the mecha are a bit more boxy than usual, but I really don't see that as an issue once the auxiliary mecha start showing up. The mecha combinations actually look a lot less cluttered than usual precisely because of the somewhat boxy design aesthetic.

When it comes to the actual toy designs, (I'm talking about the molds themselves,) those are pretty much a non–issue since Bandai America Inc. doesn't seem to be using any of the same molds as Namco Bandai Co. Ltd. anymore. The U.S. action figures are never made with the same molds used for the Japanese vinyl figures, so they're a non–issue. The zords don't use the same molds as their Japanese counterparts anymore, (with the exception of the "Japanese edition" TRU exclusive Megazords,) so Bandai will be creating new molds there as well. New molds mean plenty of chances for Bandai to make modifications to the zord toys, so if they think the zords are "too boxy," they can just stick some extra zord builder pegs on the new molds that flip out with some extra weaponry to make the zords look less boxy outside of "train mode."

As for the show itself, Nin'ninger's ninja theme is only another reason why Saban Brands should adapt ToQger. First off, trains sell and ninja sell, so it's stupid to leave money from either theme on the table unnecessarily, which is exactly what would happen by skipping ahead to Nin'ninger prematurely. Second, what happens if Sentai 2016 and 2017 do as poorly in Japan as Go–Busters did, or even just poorly compared to ToQger and Nin'ninger? If Saban Brands adapts ToQger after Kyouryger, they've still got Nin'ninger to fall back on if things really go sideways. If they skip ahead to Nin'ninger though, (remember, the next adaptation will likely be announced in early 2016,) they lose the ability to use a potentially popular older season in place of a more recent one that performed poorly or that was simply mediocre. If Saban brands were to adapt ToQger, and a situation like the one I've described were to occur, Saban Brands could just announce a Nin'ninger adaptation in 2018 without having to worry about being stuck with a poor or mediocre season of Sentai for source material. (While they could theoretically adapt 2018's Sentai in such a situation, it would be the very kind of production schedule that Saban Brands is trying to avoid.)

Also, if it comes down to PR's first train–themed season, or third ninja–themed season, I'd rather see the first train–themed season since it would be a breathe of fresh air for the show and introduce a motif that we haven't seen before. (The occasional train–themed zord in a non–train themed season doesn't qualify as a motif.)

Even if ToQger is adapted, that doesn't mean Nin'ninger couldn't be adapted as well; if you put the ninja and samurai motifs under a general "Japanese warrior motif" umbrella, adapting Nin'ninger after a ToQger adaptation would actually keep the "Japanese warrior" motif's appearance in PR largely on the schedule it's always been on. MMPR S3 aired in '95 and PRNS aired in '03; their are eight years between those seasons. PRS premiered in 2011, eight years after PRNS. If ToQger is adapted, a potential Nin'ninger adaptation would premiere in 2019, which would be seven years after PRSS premiered, and only a year "off" of the usual schedule; if you decide to count from the premiere of PRS (rather than PRSS,) the "Japanese warrior" motif would actually be right on schedule. While I admit that this isn't a reason to avoid adapting Nin'ninger, PR fans almost universally panned PRNS when it first premiered, and MMPR S3 was when a lot of the early fans started to leave the show. While most older fans panned PRS/PRSS at first, the younger fans seemed to enjoy it, and if the precedent set by PRNS (and to a lesser extent, MMPR S3,) is any indication, PRS/PRSS will be fondly viewed by fans eight years after it aired too. (I'd seriously laugh if Nin'ninger was adapted in 2019, wound up being panned by fans who praised PRS/PRSS as being so superior in terms of quality, only to have the RB staff "remind" said fans of the shows initial reception by putting a sticky thread at the top of the forum with posts from 2011 and 2012 bashing PRS/PRSS and claiming how much better PRNS was.) My point is that it could be beneficial to hold off on the next season with a "Japanese warrior" motif for nostalgia purposes.

Finally, when it comes to the overall aesthetics of ToQger, they're hardly as weird as those in some previous adaptations. Heck, Chip/Judd Lynn seems to thrive with Sentai seasons that have an aesthetic similar to ToQger's. (Again, look at PRiS, PRTF, and while it wasn't entirely Chip/Judd Lynn's doing, PRRPM if you need proof of this.) I see no reason not to adapt ToQger, and I really hope that Saban Brands warms up to the show's aesthetic, and that ToQger isn't railroaded (yes, I went there,) by Nin'ninger.
Cyrax9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/14, 08:55 PM   #2
Unregistered
Shadow Ranger

Default Re: Saban Brands and ToOger

Saban could adapt Toqger if it want to. I won't be surprised if the Power Rangers version of Toqger become a companion series to Dino Supercharge.
Old 11/07/14, 09:53 PM   #3
Sentai Fan
Shadow Ranger

Talking Re: Saban Brands and ToOger

Maybe ToQger could appear in a Papercutz comic as a Power Rangers team.
Post New ThreadReply