Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 03/24/15, 06:03 PM   #1
PRangerX
Administrator

Default RPM critics

There are a subset of fans that felt RPM was overrated and wasn't true PR. Amid a bunch of things people complain about it.

While I see why they can be turned off by the RPM facists who only like that season.....I really don't get a lot of the complaints. In a time where everyone was complaining about PR followed the same stale formula and over dependence on Sentai.....RPM really shook things up and used a lot of new concepts. Really onoy the first few eps were Ranger lite. And its not like Space,LG, and TD didn't all have un Power Ranger like first eps.

As RPM went on their was plenty of spandex ( sorry Doctor K) inspired action. Things were just presented in a slightly different way. To the point they went over budget and forced a regime change. Lynn also made the show more Power Ranger like without straying too far from the RPM way of doing things.

Also the show wasn't just grim dark Power Rangers. It had plenty of comedy that even made fun of itself. And the good guys even win in the end. But like I said its something different which was a change of pace I think the show needed.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/15, 08:02 PM   #2
Mr. CD
Ranger In Training

Default Re: RPM critics

I honestly just felt RPM had this smug, standoffish air about it. Like it was too good to be a Power Rangers season but was stuck with that.
Mr. CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/15, 12:09 AM   #3
Captain Codfish
Power Ranger

The problem they ran into is that they tried to do too much original footage in the first half and screwed production up. Their ideas were good and I liked the season. Tons of good acting and writing. The Ranger origins stories were well done and different for PR. RPM really felt like a breath of fresh air from some of the more of the formulaic seasons we had before it. It is amazing that Judd Lynn was able to give the show a statisfying conclusion that fit the first half more or less. Since there was a ton of production and budget issues. And he had no idea how Eddie planned to finish things.
Captain Codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/15, 12:11 AM   #4
Todd Oliver
Ranger In Training

Send a message via ICQ to Todd Oliver

I just didn't like the go-onger elements. They were too goofy and trying to turn it into a serious season is what screwed production. Since it led to the budget and time issues. I give them credit for trying. Too bad the sentai footage didn't enough to match what Eddie wanted to do.
Todd Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/15, 10:39 PM   #5
Delta Black
Power Ranger

I think people just get bent out of shape when they hear something is different. RPM was pretty innovative. It was a good season and the best of the Disney era. The characters were amazing. And its not like there weren't plenty of lighthearted moments to balance out the more dramatic ones.
Delta Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/15, 10:41 PM   #6
Gosei Gold
Power Ranger

I liked the season. Just didn't like that weird episode where they were behind the scenes and still in character. Pretty bizarre and made no sense.
Gosei Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/15, 10:52 PM   #7
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Codfish View Post
The problem they ran into is that they tried to do too much original footage in the first half and screwed production up. Their ideas were good and I liked the season. Tons of good acting and writing. The Ranger origins stories were well done and different for PR. RPM really felt like a breath of fresh air from some of the more of the formulaic seasons we had before it. It is amazing that Judd Lynn was able to give the show a statisfying conclusion that fit the first half more or less. Since there was a ton of production and budget issues. And he had no idea how Eddie planned to finish things.
The original footage wasn't the problem the problem was Eddie and him falling behind with scripts because he wanted things to be "perfect."

The whole budget thing is nothing more than a rumor that someone planted and people have ran wild with it assuming that it's a fact.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/15, 05:51 PM   #8
Kimmy Repulsa
Ranger In Training

RPM just didn't feel like Power Rangers. It tried too hard to be smart and make fun of itself. And really acted like it was ashamed of those spandex heroes. Things get better since Lynn took over but it was hard for him to fix anything once he was already behind schedule.
Kimmy Repulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/15, 05:57 PM   #9
Byron Stinger
Ranger In Training

RPM got screwed because Disney was done with the brand. RPM wasn't part of Disney XD's big launch and was stuck on the lame duck ABC Kids. So no one cared about it.
Byron Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/15, 08:08 AM   #10
Massive Ego
Power Ranger

RPM was good until Disney ruined it by firing Eddie. Its a crime "Ranger Black" wasn't made. I consider that the true finalie.
Massive Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply