Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/03/14, 03:45 PM   #1
Khandri
Shadow Ranger

Default Justin wasnt a bad character

I've never understood the massive amounts of hate the fandom has for Justin. So he's a kid...so what? It's not the character's fault that the producers wanted to have a kid for a Ranger. People call him whiny and childish and this or that, but really...what do they expect a 12-year-old thrust into being a superhero to act like? I doubt the haters would've reacted any differently in his shoes. Heck...I think Justin acted remarkably mature for his age, all things considered. I can't exactly say that about the haters.

Was I sad to see Rocky go? Absolutely. I enjoyed his character immensely, and he was part of the great chemistry the team had together, especially in season 3 and Zeo, not to mention the way he was written out really left something to be desired. But I'm not going to begrudge his replacement just because of that. It's the nature of PR to change in some fashion every year, and you just have to learn to accept it (says she who bawled like a baby at the end of Passing the Torch... *cough*).
Old 11/03/14, 05:12 PM   #2
Zabitan
Administrator

Default Re: Justin wasnt a bad character

He was okay I remember thinking he was cool when he came out because my real name is Justin, Blue is my second favorite color before Green, he was the same age I was at the time.

So for me it was like a self insert Marty Stu fan fiction.

But then after that initial high, and later finding out what other people thought of him I started to think he was a bad character to the point I was actually embarrassed to admit that Justin is my name around other Power Rangers fans.

Nowadays though I just think he's okay as a character.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/14, 05:17 PM   #3
PRangerX
Administrator

Just didnt seem to fit. Power Rangers should always be teens or young adults. They made it worse by making him a genius and givening him so much focus in the first half of Turbo. He didnt fit with the old Turbo Rangers. The new Turbo Rangers were at least high school kids and closer to his age. Also Justin didnt get all the focus in the second half. But overall it was an experimenr that didnt work. But I guess a series using footage from a crazy Sentai like Carrranger is where you can try a crazy experiment like this.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/14, 06:11 PM   #4
MattEmily
Administrator

I did understand the hate for Justin but I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that he was a kid and they made him a child prodigy but did very little with his smarts, they just made him a prodigy so that he could go to High School with the other Rangers.

I also agree with PRangerX that he just didn't fit with Power Rangers, he was more suitable for Beetleborgs.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/14, 08:40 PM   #5
Zabitan
Administrator

I don't know I liked him when I was a kid but after that I could get why other people didn't like him.

I think he worked for actual kids but not for older fans.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/14, 09:03 PM   #6
MattEmily
Administrator

I didn't like him then at all for the same reason. Billy was a genius that actually helped out the team by creating a bunch of inventions including with assisting with repairing the zords when they were damaged. Justin didn't.
Old 11/04/14, 09:43 AM   #7
PRangerX
Administrator

They tried to make him the new Tommy and it didnt work.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/14, 12:10 PM   #8
MattEmily
Administrator

more like a combo of Tommy and Billy.
Post New ThreadReply