Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/13/11, 12:43 AM   #1
Zabitan
Administrator

Default Ultraman Towards the Future/Ultraman Great on Netflix

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ul...?trkid=2361637

Lately I've been watching this on Netflix.

It's an Ultraman show made in Austrailia back in 1989 and starring an Australian cast, and shown in America in 1990.

And it's about how during the first manned mission to Mars they find an Ultraman fighting this giant monster called Gudis well it turns out the monster is the physical incarnation of some evil sentient space virus, and when Ultraman destroys it's body it dissolves back into a virus and heads to Earth.

Ultraman then finds Jack Shindo the only surviving Astronaut of the mission, and merges with him so Ultraman can survive on Earth, and Jack can go back to Earth, while on Earth the Gudis is already spread throughout the atmosphere, and some of it is already on Earth underground.

And the big idea is that it wants to destroy other competing lifeforms, and it does this in various ways either through enviromental damage or by infecting living organisms, and turning them into giant monsters.

So a government organization called UMA the show's version of the Science Patrol goes around trying to fight the giant monsters created by Gudis but it turns out nothing thrown at the Gudis monsters can destroy them so Jack who has returned from Mars as the human form of Ultraman joins UMA, and when their efforts aren't enough he tranforms into Ultraman to fight the Gudis monsters.

Eventually they wrap up the Gudis arc halfway through the show by having Ultraman once again fight the physical incarnation of the Gudis itself.

And the show doesn't end there there's some more episodes mostly about giant monsters being created, or awakened by damage to the environment, or other alien menaces besides the Gudis.

And it ends in this two part episode where Ultraman fights the very physical embodiments of Earth's vengeance a fire breathing dragon from Space, and some weird vaguely Gamera esque sea monster (I'm not making that up).

It's a pretty cool show though I like that they were able to make a western Ultraman show that didn't use any footage from a pre existing Ultraman show with it's own story, and it still felt true to the feel of the Ultraman series.

Plus I liked how it reminds me of those British X-Files knockoffs like Torchwood, or Primeval and I like the giant monster designs on the show. And I like the whole idea behind Gudis between the fact that it's a sentient space virus that turns living things into monsters but it's own giant monster forms make it seem like an Eldritch Abomination.

And I like the idea of giant monsters being a literal incarnation of Earth's Vengence, and I like how the montsers remind me of that old show Inhumanoids but in live action

All in all I say it's a good though, I just wish they would put the other American Ultraman show one there I still want to see that.

Last edited by Zabitan; 12/13/11 at 08:40 PM.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/12, 08:40 PM   #2
mbozzo
Power Ranger

Default Re: Ultraman Towards the Future/Ultraman Great on Netflix

I saw the last two episodes of Ultraman: Toward The Future on a screen at a convention. If that series reappear on American TV, I might watch it.
mbozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/12, 11:39 PM   #3
Zabitan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbozzo View Post
I saw the last two episodes of Ultraman: Toward The Future on a screen at a convention. If that series reappear on American TV, I might watch it.
That's cool, which convention was it?

Anyway yeah I hear you though this may sound weird. You know how their thinking of bringing back Captain Power as a Battlestar Galactica type show well I would want to see the BBC bring back this as a Torchwood/Primeval type show.
Old 01/20/12, 11:51 PM   #4
Kamen Rider Decade
Mentor

Which Ultraman dub was the comedy dub that had more idiotic comedy than a show of nothing but Bulk, Skull, & Spike type characters?

I still want to murder those writers.
Kamen Rider Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/12, 11:52 PM   #5
Zabitan
Administrator

Ultraman Tiga.
Old 02/16/12, 07:54 PM   #6
Zabitan
Administrator

Update: Ultraman Towards the future is no longer available on Netflix you can watch it on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/ultraman-towards-the-future

Last edited by Zabitan; 05/30/13 at 11:38 PM.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
netflix, ultraman