Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Kamen Rider Online
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

View Poll Results: Rate this episode:
10! 3 100.00%
9 0 0%
8 0 0%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1... :( 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Post New ThreadReply

Old 09/04/09, 03:01 AM   #1
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo
Default Dragon Knight Episode #21: "Strike's Ultimatum"

JTC offers Kit a chance to save his father, and Maya's helping him out. But she can't do much when he gets jumped by Strike, Spear and Axe, which was obviously going to happen.

Will Wing Knight show up in time to at least give Kit a fighting chance at rescuing his dad?
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/09, 08:09 PM   #2
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Whoa. I knew that was going to be good, but it was excellent. O'Leary finally tones down Xaviax a bit, Maya actually comes in handy, JTC's reason for helping Xaviax makes a whole lot more sense than Torque's did, Kit holds off three Riders with a rage inside while still thinking strategically, Len is understandably ambushed when he arrives, Spear actually gets vented, Kit shows remorse perfectly, AND Siren transforms to top it all off?

There's literally NOTHING bad about this episode. 100% perfect.
Old 09/04/09, 08:35 PM   #3
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo View Post
Whoa. I knew that was going to be good, but it was excellent. O'Leary finally tones down Xaviax a bit, Maya actually comes in handy, JTC's reason for helping Xaviax makes a whole lot more sense than Torque's did, Kit holds off three Riders with a rage inside while still thinking strategically, Len is understandably ambushed when he arrives, Spear actually gets vented, Kit shows remorse perfectly, AND Siren transforms to top it all off?

There's literally NOTHING bad about this episode. 100% perfect.
Well that about covers it... I can smell the ratings! No wonder they chose this episode for the special time slot. It was fantastic! I didn't think Kit would actually vent Spear! It was nuts! And Danni's reaction to his brother getting vented was dramatic and believable! 10/10, easy!
TokuNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/09, 08:55 PM   #4
Tendou
Ranger In Training

I am glad to see you guys you react the same way I did. I had seen the Brazilian aired version of this episode a while ago and have been anticipating it for the longest in English. To me this episode is the one episode that makes the Rider Dragon Knight superior to the Rider Ryuki. Ryuki never took on three Riders at once and won.

This episode also shows how far Kit has come and his desire to save his father. Man this episode was great.
Tendou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/09, 10:21 PM   #5
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

I said in the poll for the last episode that I wanted to see Kit come into his own. And man has he! I wasn't let down on this one. It's like Steve Wang said, "You think you know this show? Take a look at this!"

I still can't get over how cool this episode was. Outstanding!
Old 09/07/09, 12:49 PM   #6
PRangerX
Administrator

I agree with you guys. Diffinitly one of the best episodes so far, if not the best. The plot just keeps getting more interesting as they go along.

Kit Venting Smash was very well done. It made you feel sorry for the two brothers. Even though they we're the bad guys. I love how the actors didn't have to say a lot of words to convey this afterwards.

Len just has to look at Kit to know what has happened. And When Maya finds out that Kit vented Smash she doesn't really say anything but put her hand on his shoulder. Kit obviously was the same way in expressing his remorse/guilt. It was great to see that kind of writing/acting. As you don't have to spell everything out with diolouge in a visual medium.

The earlier scene with Xaviax talking to Frank was interesting. It seems to indicate that Xaviax is trying to manipulate Kit somehow. We just don't know how yet. I liked his verbal beatdown of the Chos. Just a good proformance by O'leary.

I loved how Maya finally learned that James was using her. The reactions between James, Kit, and Maya we're great. James motivation makes perfect sense and fits his character.

It seems kind of far fetched that Lacy would so easily betray Maya. But she was probably confused and easy prey for Mechille. Plus it gives the character more purpose. She better bring a lot more coffee next time, when Maya learns the truth.

The action in this episode was well done. Nice to see them continue to do there own thing. Kit taking on three Riders and venting one was baddass. I think that makes people feel better from Kit getting his butt whipped last time. The previous episode set this up perfectly.

Having Siren debut at the end was a nice bonus. She really seems like a bad ass. Maybe even more so then Len. It was a nice way to get you to want to see the next episode.

Its a shame DK is so underhyped and not on a particularly strong Network. This show deserves so much more attention then it is getting. Its a shame so many people gave up on it so early in our own very fandom. They really should consider givening it a second chance. Its not Power Rangers, but its something great in its own right. And really they never tried to be Power Rangers. Nor did they want to be. This is a good American Tokusatu. Probably the best ever outside of Power Rangers. I know we have more episodes to go to decide on that.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/09, 08:42 PM   #7
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRangerX View Post

Its a shame DK is so underhyped and not on a particularly strong Network. This show deserves so much more attention then it is getting. Its a shame so many people gave up on it so early in our own very fandom. They really should consider givening it a second chance. Its not Power Rangers, but its something great in its own right. And really they never tried to be Power Rangers. Nor did they want to be. This is a good American Tokusatu. Probably the best ever outside of Power Rangers. I know we have more episodes to go to decide on that.
I think that the main reason why people gave up on this show is because they're already in the mindset that any Americanization of any Toku is going to be bad. I have to admit, when I first found the sneak preview on, I was getting a Power Rangers vibe from Len duking it out with the minions without his suit on, but I saw promise. (I was actually hoping for an American Ultraman, but Kamen Rider pleases me as well.) And the show really takes a while to pick up speed. The first few episodes I watched out of obligation (I felt it was my duty, and I still feel the same way), but I quickly learned to love the show.

And as I previously posted in another thread, I just don't understand why things are poppular in Japan, Australia, and China but not here (maybe the US is lame in terms of pop culture). It really comes as a blow to me that we don't take super heroes as seriously as the Japanese do.

I think that the show wasn't given a chance by many viewers because Power Rangers came first, and it's really the only thing they have to compare it to. Why people need something they already know to compare to something unrelated I don't know. I personally call it closed mindedness.

But hey, as to the show's poppularity, I've done my part! My, ex-girlfriend's little brother is now addicted!
Old 09/09/09, 06:58 PM   #8
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokuNoob View Post
I just don't understand why things are poppular in Japan, Australia, and China but not here (maybe the US is lame in terms of pop culture). It really comes as a blow to me that we don't take super heroes as seriously as the Japanese do.
Yes, we do. We just don't take these superheroes as seriously.

Movies crafted with the tone of "Watchmen" or "The Dark Knight" don't get made, and watched in such massive numbers when we don't take them seriously. Americans love the stuff that's been so heavily established in our society over the years, it's the newer stuff that's heavily aimed at children that we don't gravitate toward as easily.

If you read the first few chapters of Harry Potter (I'm assuming), it reads just like any other normal story. It's not a pop-up book. In comparison, if you watch the first few episodes of Dragon Knight, it comes off as weak and boring. You have to be a diehard to the genre to stick with it long enough for it to pick up steam.

Also, the generation in question determines the success of anything. Had programs like "Heroes" been put on television back in the '60s or '70s, it probably wouldn't have been nearly as well-received as it is by today's market. And airing things made exactly like "The Six Million Dollar Man" was in this day and age would probably get laughed at by the masses.

Even in weighing things against each other, shows like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, even in Japan, are still considered children's television. It's just looked at as treasured by the adults because those brands have lasted so long, no different than the Muppets or Popeye are treated here in America. And judging by things like that dance troupe on America's Got Talent last night, the Power Rangers are well on their way to achieving similar indelibility.
Old 09/10/09, 02:55 PM   #9
Tendou
Ranger In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo View Post
Yes, we do. We just don't take these superheroes as seriously.

Movies crafted with the tone of "Watchmen" or "The Dark Knight" don't get made, and watched in such massive numbers when we don't take them seriously. Americans love the stuff that's been so heavily established in our society over the years, it's the newer stuff that's heavily aimed at children that we don't gravitate toward as easily.

If you read the first few chapters of Harry Potter (I'm assuming), it reads just like any other normal story. It's not a pop-up book. In comparison, if you watch the first few episodes of Dragon Knight, it comes off as weak and boring. You have to be a diehard to the genre to stick with it long enough for it to pick up steam.

Also, the generation in question determines the success of anything. Had programs like "Heroes" been put on television back in the '60s or '70s, it probably wouldn't have been nearly as well-received as it is by today's market. And airing things made exactly like "The Six Million Dollar Man" was in this day and age would probably get laughed at by the masses.

Even in weighing things against each other, shows like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, even in Japan, are still considered children's television. It's just looked at as treasured by the adults because those brands have lasted so long, no different than the Muppets or Popeye are treated here in America. And judging by things like that dance troupe on America's Got Talent last night, the Power Rangers are well on their way to achieving similar indelibility.
Very good comparison with Harry Potter. The first chapter of every Harry Potter book is usually very boring and dull to nonfans, but they usually have a purpose later on. Due to it starting like that if you don't read past that chapter then you will never like Harry Potter.

Most shows now start off pretty slow, but then build up. People have to learn to give shows a real chance. Watch more than one episode and after the third episode or so if you still don't like it then drop it. My problem lies with the people that automatically dismiss a show because it is an adaptation of another show. Here's looking at you Tokusatsu fans. Just because it is made in America does not mean it is bad. In my opinion DK is far superior plot wise than Ryuki. Hell an episode of Sesame Street is far superior in plot than Ryuki. lol By the way I do love Ryuki.
Old 09/10/09, 04:48 PM   #10
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou View Post

Most shows now start off pretty slow, but then build up. People have to learn to give shows a real chance. Watch more than one episode and after the third episode or so if you still don't like it then drop it. My problem lies with the people that automatically dismiss a show because it is an adaptation of another show. .
Agreed. You can never right off a show from just a single episode. It was once said that if you wanted to tick off a fan of Star Trek you merely had to mention "Spock's Brain." There's bound to be a few bad episodes in any television series. And yes, I don't like people who decide immediately that they don't want to watch something, although I'm guilty of it myself (particularlly in regards to the "Final Destination" film franchise). But if I see a movie I don't like I don't try to kill it and keep everyone else from watching it (except for Final Destination). I just say "I didn't like it." I try not to say, "It's a bad movie." Because even bad movies are enjoyable.

What was this thread about? Oh, right... Episode 21 was cool and stuff...
Post New ThreadReply