Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04/01/10, 09:42 PM   #1
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Default New Hollywood Godzilla

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...zilla-returns/

Hell yeah.
TokuNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/10, 09:11 AM   #2
Ignis
Power Ranger

I'll probably see it, but I'm not that much into that kind of toku. I prefer the kind with the hot guys in sparkly tight outfits.
Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/10, 12:09 PM   #3
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
I'll probably see it, but I'm not that much into that kind of toku. I prefer the kind with the hot guys in sparkly tight outfits.
To each his own, man. I didn't really expect you to, but I wouldn't be much of a fan if I didn't drop the good word for the big guy.
Old 04/02/10, 05:49 PM   #4
PrimoPiccolo
Eternal

Send a message via AIM to PrimoPiccolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignis View Post
But this isn't merely a toku issue, it's about avenging the name of a franchise horribly, horribly scarred by Matthew Broderick.
PrimoPiccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/10, 02:31 AM   #5
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoPiccolo View Post
But this isn't merely a toku issue, it's about avenging the name of a franchise horribly, horribly scarred by Matthew Broderick.
Hopefully someone locks him up in a bunker through this, but the real damage came from Roland Emmerich. They already had a script by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio that was pretty good and was given the green light in 1994. Then, once Jan DeBont bowed out as director (which would've been awesome) over budget disputes, Roland came along. Not only did he throw out a script which had already been given the green light for his brainless filth, TriStar gave him more than double what DeBont requested!

Okay. Rant over.
Old 04/03/10, 08:38 AM   #6
Ignis
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokuNoob View Post
Hopefully someone locks him up in a bunker through this, but the real damage came from Roland Emmerich. They already had a script by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio that was pretty good and was given the green light in 1994. Then, once Jan DeBont bowed out as director (which would've been awesome) over budget disputes, Roland came along. Not only did he throw out a script which had already been given the green light for his brainless filth, TriStar gave him more than double what DeBont requested!

Okay. Rant over.
That sucks.
Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/10, 10:35 PM   #7
mbozzo
Power Ranger

Hopefully this new movie will more faithful to Godzilla then the 1998 movie was.
mbozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/10, 11:10 PM   #8
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbozzo View Post
Hopefully this new movie will more faithful to Godzilla then the 1998 movie was.
The good news is Legendary Pictures has a pretty good track record of faithful adaptations. What with Dark Knight, 300, and I was told their Clash of the Titans remake was pretty good. Even Ebert gave the Clash remake a thumb's up, and he hates everything...

I hope this means Todd Tennant and James Stokoe finally get their Godzilla comic books published. (you'll have to be logged in to see them...)

Todd's

James'

Last edited by TokuNoob; 04/03/10 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09/17/12, 03:13 PM   #9
TokuNoob
Power Ranger

Default Re: New Hollywood Godzilla

Just here to do a follow-up: In case folks didn't know, the movie's release date is set as May 16, 2014. Gareth Edwards (Monsters) is directing, David Goyer, Dave Callingham and others have collaborated on the script.

The official teaser poster: http://static.hypable.com/wp-content...poster-new.jpg

Finally, after all of this waiting, it looks like we'll make it. What with Pacific Rim coming out this summer, and Godzilla a year later, the waiting seems just about over.

Also, my above prediction has come to pass: Stokoe's "World War G" has been published as "Godzilla: Half-Century War."

http://tohokingdom.com/comics/idw_go...ry_war_01.html
Old 05/20/14, 09:31 PM   #10
Zabitan
Administrator

Default Godzilla

What did you guys think about it?

I loved it.

It was the kind of American Godzilla movie I wanted to see since I first heard the rumors for the last one back in 96.

It reminded me an awful lot of the Heisei, and Millennium movies particularly 2000, and vs Megaguris.

I also liked the human parts, and the monster rampages since they looked like how I like to imagine what a giant monster attack would look in real life.

I think my only problem, and even then it's more of a nitpick was with how the MUTOs looked, and that's only because I'm not much of a fan of the Starship Troopers/Cloverfield look.

Other than that I liked them.

Also this is a random thought but is it true Earth was a lot more radioactive millions of years ago?

I only wonder because I once tried to come up with my own Godzilla story, and I had a similar origin story but it was 65 million years ago, and the comet/asteroid/meteor/whatever that killed the dinosaurs was made almost completely out of radioactive materials, and what's now southwestern North America was Chernobyl meets three mile island on steroids.

Though it also had weird stuff like there being a whole species of Godzillas or at least non mutated Godzillasaurs, Godzilla, and various other monsters being Guardians of the Earth chosen by Earth itself, the in universe versions of Chernobyl, and Three Mile Island happened because Varan, and Baragon had the midnight munchies.

And King Ghidora being the villain with this twist that instead of Ghidora being controlled by the various Evil Alien races it was the other way around, and that he was really a former Guardian who turned evil.

Anyway not sure about Mothra being in the sequel since I can't imagine Mothra being the villain especially since that would just be redoing this one, and I'm not sure about making this Godzilla the villain at least not without a really good reason like it turned out there are others like him but they get killed by paranoid human militaries.

I hope we get King Ghidora in the sequel so that we can see some three way philosophical battle between Godzilla, Mothra, and Ghidora where Mothra is the good monster that protects Earth, and humanity, King Ghidora is the evil monster who wants to destroy Earth, and humanity, and Godzilla is in between since he wants to protect Earth but doesn't care what happens to us.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply