Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12/27/14, 06:56 PM   #1
Captain Codfish
Power Ranger

Default Mystic Mother made no sense

Not only was Mystic Mother corny, she made no sense. Rita was purified in C2D and was young looking . Not only does she look like season 1 Rita, it doesn't add up. Mystic Mother is the source of all good magic and seemingly has been in power for centuries. Yet Rita has only been purified for several years at that point. It just makes no sense.
Captain Codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/14, 07:00 PM   #2
MMPR Forever
Power Ranger

Default Re: Mystic Mother made no sense

I didn't like MF. But I loved Rita as Mystic Mother. It made sense for someone like me that only counts MMPR. So the timeline makes a lot more sense for me. It was a cool nod to MMPR. I apreciated it and wished she was in the whole season. Too bad they couldn't get Barbara Goodsen and had to settle for someone that could sound like her.
MMPR Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/14, 07:03 PM   #3
Sentai Is Forever
Sentai Snob

I liked it since it gave the season finalie a very sentai feel. Also it was a nice tribute to Soga. I wish they could have had her speak japanese but I know why they couldn't do that.
Sentai Is Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/14, 07:06 PM   #4
Galaxy Supreme
Comic Relief

Diffinitly made no sense. It was a poor way to handle bringing Rita back. She should have been the mentor all season. It seemed so random to suddenly have a Mystic Mother right as the season ended. They shoehorned Mystic Mother in with a poorly executed nod to the past.
Galaxy Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/14, 08:59 PM   #5
Superstatler
Power Ranger

It was just supposed to be a cool nod to the past. I think people have always made too big a deal of it. Its really not a big deal for Rita to be Mystic Mother. It was a cool tribute to Soga and the old Rita long term fans remember.
Superstatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/14, 09:01 PM   #6
Kilobyte
Ranger In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentai Is Forever View Post
I liked it since it gave the season finalie a very sentai feel. Also it was a nice tribute to Soga. I wish they could have had her speak japanese but I know why they couldn't do that.
That would have been unneeded. Plus make no sense since its not like PR ever uses Japanese for the Sentai scenes.
Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/14, 09:57 PM   #7
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Codfish View Post
Not only was Mystic Mother corny, she made no sense. Rita was purified in C2D and was young looking . Not only does she look like season 1 Rita, it doesn't add up. Mystic Mother is the source of all good magic and seemingly has been in power for centuries. Yet Rita has only been purified for several years at that point. It just makes no sense.
I don't know how you can call it corny since it's not.
Also it makes complete sense. Yes she was purified by the Z-Wave and was younger back then but REMEMBER that was done because of Finster's creation as a trick to get Zedd to marry her. She would have no reason to continue applying that creation so she would be back to the older aappearance.
Yes Mystic Mother is the source of good magic so it still makes sense and completely adds up. Yes she was purified by the Z-Wave and was evil for quite awhile but that doesn't really change anything regarding her background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPR Forever View Post
I didn't like MF. But I loved Rita as Mystic Mother. It made sense for someone like me that only counts MMPR. So the timeline makes a lot more sense for me. it was a cool nod to MMPR. I apreciated it and wished she was in the whole season. Too bad they couldn't get Barbara Goodsen and had to.settle for someone that could.sound like her.
Indeed but technically they didn't want to hire an union actor to do Mystic Mother's voice so it wasn't a case that they couldn't get Barbara for the voice, it was a case of them not wanting to get her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentai Is Forever View Post
I disagree with the Sentai feel but I do agree that it was a nice tribute to Soga. Definitely no to the speaking Japanese part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy supreme View Post
Diffinitly made no sense. It was a poor way to handle bringing Rita back. She should have been the mentor all season. It seemed so random to suddenly have a Mystic Mother right as the season ended. They shoehorned Mystic Mother in with a poorly executed no to the past.
It wasn't poor at all. She was there the whole season just in the Mystic Realm so you never saw her until The Master started his attack.
I disagree that they shoehorned her in and I disagree it was a poorly executed nod to the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstatler View Post
It was just supposed to be a cool nod to the past. I think people have always made too big a deal of it. Its really not a big deal for Rita to be Mystic Mother. It was a cool tribute to Soga and the old Rita long term fans remember.
I agree. Not to mention it's perfectly reasonable for Rita to be the Mystic Mother. Just because she was evil doesn't mean she can't be the Mystic Mother as well. She would have still been the Mystic Mother while she was evil.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/14, 11:41 AM   #8
Captain Codfish
Power Ranger

I just thought all the one liners she added in the final battle made things look goofy. The whole dubbed in over Sentai footage for humans doesn't work like it did in season 1. Mystic Mother was just kind of goofy to me. If she was in just a few scenes it would have been different.

So you're saying the Mystic Realm was ruled by Evil before C2D? Gotta admit thats an interesting thought.
Captain Codfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/14, 12:45 PM   #9
MattEmily
Administrator

yup it's entirely possible and it is an interesting thought indeed.
Rita would have still been naturally the Mystic Mother inside herself even while she was evil. She might not have been aware of it however due to the darkness of her own heart at the time controlling her to the point of wanting to get revenge on Zordon for imprisoning her.

I actually did like the lines she said in the finale since they were continuity lines and you have to hear Rita and her catchphrase otherwise she wouldn't be Rita if you don't hear her "you're giving me a headache" catchphrase."
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/14, 02:28 PM   #10
Lord Leo
Ranger In Training

I don't consider Mystic Mother Rita Repulsa. She was just someone that sounded like her and was supposed to be a tribute to her. They just had the same first name and were once evil.
Lord Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply