View Single Post
Old 06/14/15, 12:03 PM   #2
X1 Mask
Comic Relief

Default Re: Don't remember the episode title for Space Episode

Hmm. That must have been Astronema Thinks Twice. I don't really remember that line, I'll check it out again sometime. (though Astronema ended up being on their side. All the other rangers were pretty uneasy about her coming on board, but in the end, through their actions, they were able to turn the main villian of the series onto their side and gain a powerful ally against Dark Specter. Maybe he didn't "lose focus" after all)

Anyway, it always seemed to me focusing on Astronema wasn't a distraction from the goal. Remember that they had the whole universe to search, and no real leads. Plus they had to defend earth from Astronema, as well as protect themselves as Astronema was sent specifically to stop them. It's not like he didn't pay attention to Zordon, there was just an obstactle ahead of them they needed to deal with first. By this logic all the rangers needed to have some sense smacked into them (Cassie sucks cause she wasted important time on a bee who wanted to be nice, Ashley sucks cause she cares about her grandma)

I mean, c'mon, it's his long lost sister. He's just supposed to say "screw it she's evil now" and run a sword through her? That's a little harsh.

These aren't mindless automatons, they're teenagers with an impossible goal thrust upon them. I think they did a pretty good job.

PRiS, though it does get overrated I think, is probably one of the better PR seasons in my opinion. It's worlds better than anything that came before it (the only thing that comes close is maybe Zeo). I haven't seen much of the later seasons save for TF and SPD (which I quite liked). Andros is probably one of my favorite rangers, brooding at time, and a little unsure of the mission that has been suddenly thrust onto him, but he rises to it eventually. The scenes of him on Onyx are still some of my favorites. The arc between Darkonda him and Karone/Astronema was well done.

There were a few big drawbacks though, I thought.
1. Little/no character development for anyone who is not named Andros, Zhane, or Karone. There's a tiny bit of Ashley and Carlos in there too, but Cassie and TJ really don't do all that much over the course of the show. PRiS is the Andros show, and I think it pulls it off, but did not need to do so at the expense of everyone else.
2. Zhane is a little weak as far as a sixth ranger goes. He was a cool contrast to Andros, but then jets off to fight with KO-35 Rebels for extended periods of time for no reason? Other than to name drop "Rebels" to make this seem more like Star Wars, it didn't make a lot of sense to me why he was in and out.
3. Some episodes were just really weird, or painfully bad "The Great Evilyzer", "Andros and the Stowaway" or that stupid one with the stupid Bee.

I don't think this overrides the high points though
1. Andros' running arc to find his sister and Zordon, and eventually having to kill both of them
2. Darkonda
3. Some cool spaceship-like zords (I like them, others don't)
4. Space travel... for the first time we have the rangers going places on a regular basis
5. Some of the strongest multi-part arcs in the series (Flashes of Darkonda, Astronema Thinks Twice, Psycho Rangers, Countdown). Really good stuff.

Plus Bulk and Skull were funny at times. I especially liked Prof. P. and his "to the untrained eye!" line
X1 Mask is offline   Reply With Quote