View Single Post
Old 02/19/14, 12:51 AM   #3
Zabitan
Administrator

Default Re: Zabitan's Magic Happy American Tokusatu Reviews

We then see our heroes walking through a field explaining that when we weren't looking they were able to find a side road.

You know I'm starting to notice a pattern with this episode of just Ziktor/Grimlord screwing over Ryan, and his friends, and then the next scene is like they don't even care.

Anyway Ryan, and his friends then find some weird triangle thing in the middle of nowhere. The Professor's voice comes out, and tells them to enter, and they do. we then see Professor Hart's lab, I'll admit I like it just because of how futuristic it looks.

Inside our heroes look around, and then the Professor appears on the lab's screens revealing he only exists as a virtual image, and tells them to put on some VR visors which he makes appear out of thin air.

Our heroes put them on, and are assaulted by a 90's screen saver that the Professor explains is them looking through the reality barrier. Then Ryan's father appears which JB explains is a virtual recording like a 3D video.

Ryan's father shows some Metalder clips, and explains that Grimlord has been making mutant robots so he can attack the reality barrier and take over the world.

He then says that he and Professor Hart need Ryan, and his friends to become superheroes called the VR Troopers, and explains about the skugs but he doesn't actually show them.

He then explains that if they fail to defeat the Skugs in our world they will have to fight them in an outpost next to a virtual black hole called the Battle Grid.

But instead of showing what the Battle Grid looks like he shows them transforming into the Battle Grid suits but doesn't explain why they have those suits when they go there.

Though I'll admit I like the insta morph effect with the weird "seizure" lights, and the Troopers glowing as civilians, and being in the suits when it fades.

I will say this just to get it out of the way I do enjoy the Battle Grid suits. I Like how all three of them try to incorporate elements from the Metal Hero suits into them like the padding meant to be the metal plates on their main suits.

And how they make the Troopers look more like they're part of the same team while still having individual elements to tell who's who.

Like Ryan's suit has this half red half blue color scheme with the yellow eyes, and all these various designs that I'm guessing are supposed to look like metal plates.

Kaitlin has this white suit with a red stripe, and black visor on the helmet, and a design that looks like she's wearing a one piece swimsuit/leotard, and even looks like it has straps, and it even has these yellow crystals on her chest, and a belt on there.

Hell JB's is the most "normal" looking and it still manages to have elements of both Ryan, and Kaitlin's suits with this solid body suit and armored design like Ryan but with this silver helmet with a black stripe, and red visor, and red, and silver crystal like shapes like a male version of Kaitlin.

We finally get to see the main suits, and I'll say that I like how they have full body armor, and how they all have unique designs to them, and the various lights on all them.

Ryan's father then tells them they are Earth's last hope, and there's an admittedly touching part where Ryan tries to reach out to his dad, the message ends, and our heroes take off their visors, and Ryan's still sad about his dad.

The Professor then has these three pendants appear which he explains are the transformation virtualizers that will allow them to become VR Troopers, and travel between realities to stop Grimlord' and his mutants, and our heroes then put them on.

Meanwhile at the Virtual Dungeon Grimlord has his Tankbots attack the lab, so the Professor tells them to say Trooper Transform, and use their new powers which they do, and we get to see them transform for the first time.

Ryan's transformation is the Metalder one with Brad Hawkins, and without the part where he grabs his own arms for no reason, and JB, and Kaitlin's transformations are the Spielban, Dianna Lady ones with Michael Bacon, and Sarah Brown.

We then see JB, and Kaitlin fight an ape like mutant called Kongbot who attacks with huge fists he can launch at opponents, while Ryan fights Grimlord's second in command Decimator, and the Tankbots who open fire on him.

JB, and Kaitlin jump to attack Kongbot who punches JB, and pins him to the ground, but JB gets out of the way, and Kaitlin tries to kick Kongbot but he just punches her out of the way.

Meanwhile Decimator jumps at Ryan with his sword, and tries to slash him but Ryan keeps getting out the way, then he jumps, and kicks Decimator, and blocks him with his arm but Decimator jumps out of the way.

I'll also add that when they're in Trooper mode they have what I like to call Trooper vision where you can see what it looks like in the helmets, and in addition to the main visor there's also a little screen so they can talk to others, and see what's going on elsewhere.

It's a small thing but it adds a nice touch to how the Troopers' powers work, and adds to the techno feel of the show.

Meanwhile JB does a jump kick at Kongbot, and knocks him upside the head, and then tries to slash him with his sword but gets punched aside, so he tries again but still gets punched so he kicks Kongbot and knocks him back again but Kongbot keeps running at him.

So the Professor tells JB to use his Laser Lance against Kongbot, and I'm not gonna lie it's awesome. Lightsabers are cool, double edged Lightsabers are cool so using a double edged Lightsaber to slash a robot until it blows up is just perfect.

Meanwhile Ryan is still dealing with Decimator kicking him, and trying to dodge his sword slashes but then Decimator rushes at Ryan, and slashes his shoulder, and exposing his circuits, and sending him off a cliff.

At the lab JB, and Kaitlin back in civilian mode return from defeating Kongbot, and wonder where Ryan is. The Professor explains that Ryan's communication system is down, has JB use the geo thermal scanner to find Ryan.

Meanwhile at the Virtual Dungeon Grimlord, and his mutants celebrate Ryan's defeat, and plan to continue the invasion of Earth. While at the bottom of the cliff Ryan lies quiet, and motionless as the words To Be Continued flash on the screen.

Now here's where I would talk about Finale Thoughts but I'll save those for part as this is a multi parter.

So tune in next time for more Magic Happy American Tokusatsu Reviews.

Last edited by Zabitan; 04/11/14 at 04:41 PM.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote