View Single Post
Old 11/18/14, 11:36 AM   #1
Churlyryan
Putty Patroller

Default Thoughts on VR Troopers

Back then, I just took it as another fun show to watch, but I also just didn't know of all the incongruities within the show. It never occured to me that JB and Kaitlin never battled with Ryan, and that this was a whole total of 3 different footages rolled into a 22 minute show.

I've lately been going through the whole show on Netflix (because this is FAR BETTER than DVDs!), jumping between both Seasons for variety because each and every episode is essentially self contained. From a grown-up perspective (pssh, me, grown up? right ), there is so, so much to notice now that you know of the Sentai's.

For example, ALL of the Human-Characters from Metalder; Muki Muki Man, Fuu Fuu Chuu, and Beautiful Secretaries K & S, have snuck onto the American show. I even saw a scene of the Mutant-of-the-Day speaking to Grimlord and right there, clear as day, was one of the Secretaries, looking right in the camera. That scene even lasted like 5 seconds. And any time Grimlord calls his Spielban compadre's, Col. Icebot and General Ivar, Muki Muki Man and Fuu Fuu Chuu can be seen getting out of the way. It's funny how they lasted much, much more longer in VRT than they actually did in Metalder. I can probably go on and on about Grimlord's whole arsenal (if you know me on Rangercrew, you know I got a thing for Tokusatsu villains) but maybe I've said enough on that, so lets bring up my next good thing to say on this show.

Every episode began and ended with Ryan wishing for his father's return. Now, of course, if anyone's father has gone missing, you'd want him back more than anything, but as I child, I thought this was way over done. It pissed me off how we were taunted that time the Troopers may have saw Tyler in the jail. And, of course, the Troopers were unsuccessful with bringing him back from being Dark Heart. But you know what the good thing was? In the end, they did NOT fuck it up! Ryan's father was indeed rescued, well before the show even ended. Unfortunately, my syndication dropped VRT for the 2nd Season so I saw little of Season 2 back then, but it was GREAT to find out that Tyler was completely rescued from Grimlord's clutches. Yeah yeah, he still had to leave, but at least he's in safe hands, and it was great seeing him kick some Skug ass for one time.

Now, I want to go back to Grimlord. He was one of the best American Tokusatsu villains there was. He had an incredibly impressive army right before him, a huge reconnaissance team, many underground labs and airships. He was smart enough to attack Crossworld City on multiple fronts, sending multiple mutants for Metalder and Spielban, respectively, to fight, sending in Ivar with tanks, and so on and so on. The Troopers really had to keep up with this menace you know. Grimlord was pretty lucky in the beginning, being God Neros, and if you've seen Metalder, you know that God Neros was a very despicable villain. God Neros though, was like a father to his men, and all his compadre's were loyal to him. The Shielded Army, the Cyborg Warrior Army, the Monsters Army, and the Armament Army, they were so diverse and interesting. This was easily adaptable to Grimlord, and its easy enough to make Icebot, Ivar and the Spielban villains just as faithful to who was really God Neros, a full year after them.

The Troopers themselves are awesome too. Ryan was a great role model, and with my name happening to be Ryan as well, people would call me "Ryan Steele" in real life. Kaitlin was great, and everyone loves Sarah Brown, right? JB was great too, being the "Billy" of the team, but really not much of a nerdy dork. He was competent, and confident from the start, but is also tech savy. It was a great idea.

Well, maybe I've gone on for long enough. What did you think of the show?
Churlyryan is offline   Reply With Quote