Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   DT better with Edward Payne? (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8654)

No Green Spandex 03/08/18 07:25 PM

DT better with Edward Payne?

I really think that DinoThunder would have been better with Edward as the mentor instead of Tommy. You wouldn't have had to shoehlrn Tommy into an unrelated storylines. Nor would Tommy hog the spotlight. Also you wouldn't have that stupid stuck morphed storyline.

Boston Ranger Guy 03/08/18 07:42 PM

Re: DT better with Edward Payne?

It would have still been good. But you would have lost some lf the specialness the real DT had without Tommy's big return.

MattEmily 03/08/18 07:45 PM

I disagree and I don't know what planet you're on but he wasn't hogging the spotlight in Dino Thunder

Boston Ranger Guy 03/08/18 07:47 PM

They did a great job not overexposing him. A lot of DT was carried by the three core Rangers.

Starlight Supreme 03/09/18 11:43 AM

I don't see how it would have been better without the Tommy return? Would it still have bden good? Probably...But why get rid of something that was good for the season?

Tommy Hater 03/09/18 11:44 AM

Because some of us are sick of Tommy and sse through what a terrible and damaging character he was to the brand.

Wesley Smallings 03/09/18 11:48 AM

I think it would have been about the same. I don't think Doctor Oliver hogged the zpotlight like he did in the past. The say they presented the characters was balanced.

MattEmily 03/09/18 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Hater (Post 75358)
Because some of us are sick of Tommy and sse through what a terrible and damaging character he was to the brand.

some of you maybe but to say he was a damaging character to the brand is an insult and offensive if anything is damaging to the brand it's you Hater Dudes who go out of their way to bash a fictional character which just makes you look completely foolish, dumb, idiotic and moronic.

Jen's Revenge 03/09/18 05:31 PM

I think Tommy Oliver returning as a mentor was a much more interesting hook than some guynname Edward Payne.

KimandTommy 03/10/18 12:31 PM

Tommy was the only thing that made DinoThunder watchable. He was great in it. I don't care about Edward Payne. I am just glad they weren't dumb enough to bring Kat back as his wife. If only they brought Kim back

Sentai Is Forever 03/10/18 12:33 PM

Only if Edward Payne was modeled off of AbaBlack. If he wasn't from the Dino Demension ir would have been a waste anyway. I wasn't a fan of American Burai coming back. Since he is such a symbol of when American Sentai was at its worst.

Lightspeed Carter 03/10/18 07:27 PM

Eh I am glad they didn 't include dino earth or not the Evorian. It all looked so goofy.

Jen's Revenge 03/10/18 08:28 PM

I agree, DT was much more interesting with Tommy instead of Payne.

MattEmily 03/10/18 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentai Is Forever (Post 75404)
Only if Edward Payne was modeled off of AbaBlack. If he wasn't from the Dino Demension ir would have been a waste anyway. I wasn't a fan of American Burai coming back. Since he is such a symbol of when American Sentai was at its worst.

definitely not in fact the only thing that is at its worst is you and your other Sentai Snobs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightspeed Carter (Post 75421)
Eh I am glad they didn 't include dino earth or not the Evorian. It all looked so goofy.

I would have to agree on that.

Smarty Pants Rose 03/11/18 12:47 PM

Who is Edward Payne?

Goldar's Revenge 03/12/18 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarty Pants Rose (Post 75425)
Who is Edward Payne?

He was the back up for Doctor Oliver in case they failed to get JDF to sign the dotted line. Word leaked out about Tommy's return before the deal was done. So they had to deny it and put out the Payne bios until JDF was officially signed.

Forever Jason 03/14/18 11:13 PM

I think Jason should have been the mentor. Since he was one of the originals. But Tommy was a lot better than a newbie mentor.

Tori Fan 03/15/18 11:47 AM

I think they just should have continued NS with Abaranger Footage

No Green Spandex 03/15/18 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen's Revenge (Post 75369)
I think Tommy Oliver returning as a mentor was a much more interesting hook than some guynname Edward Payne.

PR already got rid of the albatross and learned to live withlut him. There was no need to bring him back. I can almost understand FR but DT and LB? And now SNS?. I will not count the movie cameo. Since it was just JDF playing a cilvlian fpr 10 seconds.

Sentai Envy 03/15/18 11:50 AM

Yes, it waa dumb how American Sentai has always tried to bring back American Burai.

Sentai Mighty 03/15/18 11:52 AM

And they didn't even adapt him right in the first place. Toei must have been pissed! I don't get why they didn't step in back then. It would have been grounds to cancel PR and take back their rights in the west. They could have given us dubbed Sentai or at least an exact translation.

Sensei's No Dude 03/17/18 08:05 AM

No way! Why would you not use the chance to bring back an old favorite? Especially when you could have Jason David Frank?

No Green Spandex 03/17/18 08:22 AM

I could live with JDF coming back if he was playing Edward Payne. Or another senario where a new actor was playing a different Tommy Oliver.

Disney Ranger 03/17/18 12:11 PM

Disney wisely decided to bring Frank back. Since they knew the fans would love it!

Massive Ego 03/17/18 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disney Ranger (Post 75499)
Disney wisely decided to bring Frank back. Since they knew the fans would love it!

Keep telling yourself that.

Tommy Hater 03/17/18 06:26 PM

I don't see how anyone can seriously argue brining back Tommy was better then using Edward Payne?

Usagi Reborn 03/17/18 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimandTommy (Post 75403)
Tommy was the only thing that made DinoThunder watchable. He was great in it. I don't care about Edward Payne. I am just glad they weren't dumb enough to bring Kat back as his wife. If only they brought Kim back

That is the only thing that would have made it better

Lion Tamer Org 03/19/18 03:29 PM

I would much rather have an older Tommy then a new character as mentor.Its not like Tommy was the exact same character we last saw in Turbo. He matured and changed.

White Tiger Fan 03/19/18 03:38 PM

My only complaint is that they seemed to forget the way Tommy was presented in FR. I thibk Mercer should have been the antagonistic teacher all year. Tommy could have been an older businessman that the Rangers become mixed up with by chance. Tommy also should have been Zeo Red until he becomes Black Ranger.

Forever Jason 03/19/18 03:40 PM

If your gonna do that why not have Black Ranger be a new character. To my could then fight sporadically as Zeo Red. And perhaps be the one who becomes Trassic Ranger?

Ranger Galaxy 03/19/18 03:49 PM

Call me crazy but I would have been fine with Edward Payne. He could have been an interesting new character. Tommye already had a great swan song in Forever Red.

MMPR Guru 03/21/18 12:25 PM

The Tommy we got in DT wasn't the true Tommy. It was very disappointing that they messed this up , as well as the whole season. I wouldn't have cwred about Payne either.

Cyber Astronema 03/27/18 11:45 AM

You know I never really watched MMPR when it was originaly on or many of the Tommy episiodes during his first run. But I really liked Tommy based on DinoThunder and the old episodes of him that I have seen! He was awesome in FR.

MattEmily 03/27/18 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMPR Guru (Post 75561)
The Tommy we got in DT wasn't the true Tommy. It was very disappointing that they messed this up , as well as the whole season. I wouldn't have cwred about Payne either.

don't be ridiculous the one we saw in Dino Thunder is as true to the character that we saw in MMPR-Turbo and Wild Force

Miki1988 03/27/18 03:24 PM

I agree. It's just Disney didn't want Tommy cursing, i.e. insulting villains in a humorous way like with Goldar (like "Overgrown flying monkey") and karate-yelling during butt-kicking all of the time. So JDF had to minimize that part. Well, the "Fighting Spirit" scene when he throws the monster right into that wall is an exception. That scene is 110 % Tommy, along with Tommy's coma dream when he fights against his Ranger forms (MM Green, MM White and Zeo V).

Goldar's Revenge 03/27/18 05:05 PM

Tommy would have to be a different since he was several years older. It would be silly if he acted exactly the same. Plus he was the Rangers mentor instead of a peer. Thats a much different dynamic.

Miki1988 03/28/18 03:44 AM

He even acted more mature in Forever Red. Plus it appeared like Bulk and Skull were calling him "Sir". This clearly tells us that:
1. Tommy went trough a lot since the end of his time as a Turbo Ranger and Forever Red.
2. Something clearly happened between him, Bulk and Skull since they referred to him as they did in the episode. The two former bullies, cops and detectives clearly did something wrong and went over the line and Tommy happened to be there so he must have done something about it. It's either that or he helped Bulk and Skull get their jobs.

Titanium Ghost 03/30/18 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 75661)
He even acted more mature in Forever Red. Plus it appeared like Bulk and Skull were calling him "Sir". This clearly tells us that:
1. Tommy went trough a lot since the end of his time as a Turbo Ranger and Forever Red.
2. Something clearly happened between him, Bulk and Skull since they referred to him as they did in the episode. The two former bullies, cops and detectives clearly did something wrong and went over the line and Tommy happened to be there so he must have done something about it. It's either that or he helped Bulk and Skull get their jobs.

There is no doubt a lot happened. It was funny seeing Bulk and Skull kiss up to Tommy. FR seemed to imply he was rich. That part was left out of DT. But then again how did Doctor O pay for his lab?

Miki1988 03/30/18 04:18 PM

That's right. If Tommy's rich, it means he has people working for him. Which means he can afford a lab. Plus there was someone in DT who had a de-morph issue.

Blue Ranger Gone Bad 03/31/18 08:17 AM

It actually makes sense that Tommy would be rich. And when ypunthink about it, nothing DinoThunder does contradicts that idea. As mentioned, the lab wasn't cheap. And being rich doesn't prevent you from being a teacher. Anton did it too.