Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   The MMPR Formula (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=6914)

big smile 08/13/15 07:45 AM

The MMPR Formula

What sets MMPR apart for me is that it nailed the formula. The villain would spy on the Rangers and would often use the Ranger's personal problems as a basis for their evil scheme. It meant that the villains and Rangers felt fully involved in the story, as the battle was personal for both groups (which was quite an achievement as the Rangers rarely got to interact with the villains). The show was less about dinos or any other theme, and more about the trails of growing up which made it easier to relate to.

Later seasons dropped this mechanic. That's not to say MMPR is perfect, because it had lots of problems. I am also glad other seasons experimented with different story structures, as the MMPR formula did get repetitive after a while. But it is a shame that other seasons have (often unintentionally) rejected the MMPR formula, as there's a lot that could be done with.

Ashiusx 08/13/15 07:49 AM

Re: The MMPR Formula

MMPR does do a lot of things right that other seasons don't do. Namely the campy atmosphere that MMPR had. Saban has tired to replicate this same ''campy atmosphere'' from MMPR into Samurai and MegaForce and it failed. It came off really awkward and forced. It didn't feel as natural as it did in MMPR.

MMPR Forever 08/13/15 11:21 AM

Thats why I only like MMPR. The seasons that tried to copy it failed. And the other seasons that didn't tried to be tok serious.

Usagi Reborn 08/14/15 11:33 AM

I don't think current seasons can 100 percent replicate the MMPR formula. Every season should be true to Power Rangers but also has to be able to do its own thing.

Massive Ego 08/14/15 11:35 AM

The MMPR formula is overrated. It was fine for its time. But the constant attempt to go back to it has ruined Power Rangers the last decade. As soon as someone tried to do something different with RPM...They were let go.

MMPR White 08/15/15 07:18 AM

MMPR just came around at this right time. Its pretty interesting how it came around at just the right time.

MMPR Guy 08/18/15 11:58 AM

MMPR was definitely the best. Nothing comes close.

Massive Ego 08/18/15 12:00 PM

Space and Time Force says hi.

Lightspeed Zeo 08/18/15 05:07 PM

I think Zeo and the Lightspeed seasons had the best formula.

Itzy Bitzy Carter 08/18/15 05:09 PM

Except for the part where Carter always saved the day. Boy did he just dominate the show to the point that it got silly. Thank goodness he didn't get a battlelizer.