Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Why was Neo Saban so bad? (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=9141)

Shadow Max 02/21/21 09:43 PM

Why was Neo Saban so bad?

It really felt like fans were let down by this era...

Ranger Hero 02/21/21 09:45 PM

Re: Why was Neo Saban so bad?

I think they tried to hard to follow the MMPR formula. It just seemed like things were done that way without it feelin organic. I don't blame them for trying ,it just didn't work. It didn't help that every season tried to do this in a lot of the same ways. It got more repetive, even for Power Rangers.

Inner Senshi 02/21/21 09:47 PM

Power Rangers fans are just too picky. Its supposed to be a kids show.

Massive Ego 02/21/21 09:49 PM

The writing just wasn't strong to put it mildly.

Ranger Hero 02/21/21 09:50 PM

Which to be fair had a lot to do with orders from Saban Brands. It hurt their ability to be creative.

Miki1988 02/22/21 08:59 AM

The irony is that after (Super) Samurai ended, all the creativity was gone as that were the first two Neo-Saban seasons. You can tell that if the production crew had more time to prepare, we'd get an amazing season. Even Clash of the Red Rangers, which I consider the worst PR team-up episode right next to Legendary Battle, looked pretty decent.

Come Megaforce and we enter the "here's Power Rangers, we don't even care anymore" era. Even Chip was toned down for Dino Charge's "Super" season. Ninja Steel, judging from various YouTube clips I've seen, is Power Rangers in its essence, but without any creativity included. Even Dimensions in Danger had alot of great ideas and concepts, but it tried to do too much in a very short time period by trying to squeeze the continuity into the season, but without any points & solid bridges inbetween (I mean... some of the kidnapped Rangers wouldn't even allow themselves to be kidnapped if the show would still be produced by Saban Entertainment, including Tommy.). Beast Morphers tried to build a bigger world & picture for the current PR multiverse, but the "Powers That Be" stopped that from happening by making the writers have to actually squeeze the continuity into the show just for the sake of having a three Dino-based Ranger teams team-up episode and to have Beast morphers act as sequel to RPM in its final episodes by making Evox be Venjix and by bringing Dr. K back (and her actress reprised the role without messing it up and as splendidly as she could due to weak writing, so that's another plus).

For example, I was totally shocked when Dino Charge Rangers just showed up (minus Pink and Green) without any prior givaways. Even the episode description managed to hid the fact that the DC Rangers were going to make an appearance. Even bringing Jason back was a waste, but ASJ at least managed to save his appereance from being a total failliure in my opinion, but even that has more to do with the fact that he and his BM producer friend once worked on the show back in MMPR days and also ASJ actually willing to help out.

I think that Hasbro should just stay away from doing any future team-ups unless they properly plan them and actually contact the cast members in time so they can prepare the right way and good enough. The writing needs to be strong troughout any current season and a team-up episode.

Neo-Saban is what drew me away from PR as a regular fan and viewer. Dino Fury looks promising, but I'll wait until episode 10 or 11 to make a judgment.

Goldar Supreme 02/22/21 04:22 PM

Saban wanted to make the show more kid friendly. Thats why older fans tend to dislike them. Disney did the same thing when you compare it to the end of the original Saban seasons. Saban just took it a step further.

Kilobyte 02/22/21 04:24 PM

Its also worth noting RPM really uped the storytelling from an older fans perspective. Since it was a lame duck season.

Sailor Astera 02/22/21 04:26 PM

You can really blame Saban though. He felt that they had to do a better job of appealing to the target audience. Disney felt the same way when they took over.

TommyIsGod 02/22/21 04:27 PM

The early Disney Seasons did it better, because Doug Sloan knew how to appeal to the kids and balence that with good PR.