Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Does Anyone Like How Rocky Was Written Out? (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=6099)

Agent Z182 12/19/14 10:28 PM

Does Anyone Like How Rocky Was Written Out?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post here. I've been a PR fan since the 90s and have been keeping up with as many seasons as I can. Anyway, I thought I'd do a thread discussing the way Rocky was written out of the show.

I have two issues with how this was handled. The first is that it seems odd for Rocky to survive getting tossed out of a giant mecha and walk away relativel unscathed, yet a botched martial arts move is what took him out of commission. Add salt to the wound, is that we would see Rangers in later seasons survive incidents that should have left bed ridden for the remainder of there days at best. The second, is that while I have no issue with a Ranger retiring due to an injury, I feel the injury should have occured during a battle instead of practice for one of the many martial arts tournies the Rangers participate in. In fact, that would have been a cool way to establish Divatox as a legitimate threat to the Rangers. It would also explain the Rangers needing new powers as the old ones would have been proven inefficient.

So that's my take on it. What are you guys' thoughts? Do you like how Rocky was written out, or do you think it could have been better? Feel free to give your other ideas.

AkibaGold90 12/19/14 10:29 PM

Re: Does Anyone Like How Rocky Was Written Out?

I do on a petty level. I'll admit I'm not the biggest Rocky fan, downright hated him as a kid for replacing both Jason and Billy (They were my favorites), so him being taken out of commission in such a way feels like the universe agreed with me. Hell, it downright turns him into a joke considering he was replaced by a kid.

Storywise though it was a waste...just like the rest of the movie.

christopher john 12/19/14 10:31 PM

[U]Its very simple the suits are protective so when falling from a zord you have the suit protecting you. Even if you fall demorphed it could be explained that there is enough of the energy that gave you those powers still protecting you. While when he was fighting the botch move there was no suit to protect him he took a bad fall. Besides its very realistic in the random sense. Someone could survive unscathed in a life threatening car crash only to die from slipping in the bathroom. Its really just how things work out sometimes.

Was it badly written yes its power rangers I don't expect the bar to be extremely high in that area.

MattEmily 12/20/14 03:40 PM

Yes I do agree with you that the way they wrote out Rocky was a horrible way to write him out of a Ranger team but I personally don't believe Divatox could have really done anything that would have made it believable.

Everyone Loves Rocky 12/22/14 07:03 PM

I hated it. I wanted Rocky to stay as Turbo Blue. Justin was a lame replacement. Rocky deserved better. Even in Zeo where he got demoted to Blue and was always the butt of the jokes. Like how they made him the Butler in that one episode. Writing Rocky out for a kid was silly. He should have got his job back when he recovered.

Turbo Guy 12/22/14 07:14 PM

I thought it was cool. Not Rocky getting hurt. But I was totally surprised that they made Justin a Ranger. I was a kid at the time and thought it was cool a kid my age got to be a Ranger. Made the movie for me I thought for sure Justin would give the powers back in the series. I was so happy when Justin got to keep being a Ranger.

PRangerX 12/22/14 07:23 PM

I think its because Rocky was unmorphed so getting hurt would be like a normal human gettting hurt. When he fell out of zords he was morphed and protected. I think Steven Cardensa only was slated for a small role so they wrote off Rocky quick to move the story.

Having Rocky get hurt in a battle with Divatox's forces is a really good idea. But I imagine that would have been too dark sounding to the producers. The only cool part was that Austin St John got to sub for him as Jason in the martial arts fight.

Captain Codfish 12/22/14 07:28 PM

Justin was terrible. He should have just been a side character character. If you have to use him more than swap him with Jason. Jason could have been Turbo Blue. They have replaced him in the series if they couldn't resign St John for the series. Maybe even keep Rocky if you could convince the actor to stay.

Outer Sailor 12/22/14 10:47 PM

It was pretty stupid and random? Why the heck did they have to have him get hurt so randomly in something he was an expert at. Why should a little kid replace him. Just so many holes? Rocky was kinds eh but he even deserved better than that for a right off.

Starlight Starbrite 12/28/14 12:32 PM

It was pretty lacking. Also seems wierd that morphing wouldn't heal Rocky temporaly like it did for Tommy when he faced his clone. But I suppose that would have been too dangerous. Also wierd that he would send a kid to replace him just because he knew who the Power Rangers are.