Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Terra Venture (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=5240)

FluffyMastr 11/03/14 10:32 PM

Terra Venture

Okay, I am midway through my first run of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, and I am actually enjoying it so far. I think the show has a good premise, and the acting is good enough to keep my interest.

What does bug me is Terra Venture itself. The "space colony" that has daylight, night time, and all forms of weather is just kind of bugging me. I do know WHY they did it (because they wanted to keep with the space theme, and still be able to use Gingaman footage) but did this bug anyone else while they were watching it?

Maybe it is because I am older now, and I have lost that sense of accepting the world as it is within a story without questioning realism.

Javert 11/03/14 10:32 PM

Re: Terra Venture

It actually didn't bug me at all, and I will explain why. It would make sense in an artificial environment, like the domes in Terra Venture, for them to include day and nighttime. They wanted to keep the members of the colony conformable by keeping the environment similar to that of Earth. In that same fashion, they had plants on board the colony. In order for the plants to grow properly they need a specific amount of sunlight. There needed to be a night time to not over expose these plants to too much sunlight. The sunlight may have been artificial, but it served the same purpose. Similarly, Rain would be created to keep these plants alive as well. They probably had a scheduled time for rain, where the colony would create rain from overhead sprinklers, similar to that of what we saw in Corinth City many years later in the episode "Rain".

There even serves some logical purpose for the other "domes", such as the mountain dome. Different crops require different soils and types of terrains to grow. It would seem logical for a space colony to have some pre-packaged food, but also would bring along farmers and ranchers to have grow crops and raise animals for food. They did not know how long this trip was going to take, and thus had to be prepared that it may be a long journey. Having these different types of terrain would allow them to grow such crops and raise such animals.

I may be incredibly overthinking this, but I guess what I am trying to say is that, no, none of that stuff bothers me about Terra Venture at all.

FluffyMastr 11/03/14 10:33 PM

Another thing about Terra Venture that bugs me is the lack of security. We constantly see stowaways and monsters just appear in it.

If we want to play the realism card, how are they able to rebuild the buildings? I mean if it were earth, there would be more supplies, but did this space colony PREPARE to be attacked before the Rangers pulled the Quasar Sabers on Miranoi?

Javert 11/03/14 10:34 PM

OK, you got me there. I have no idea on the security thing or they can rebuild the buildings. Maybe most of the attacks were in the abandoned warehouse dome.

KDLegend 11/03/14 10:34 PM

I think the lack of security in a way is understandable, when you are in space it is highly unlikely that you are going to come under any form of sustained attack. I also assume that the astro megaship was placed on to the ship incase of such emergencies, if anything was going to attack the ship they would send out the megaship as a pre-emptive strike. Another thing is that they did have a police service on board the ship, yet I think we have to remember that when they applied for tickets to go on the ship, they where mostly likely vetted. What I mean here is that they wouldn't let just anyone go on the ship, they probably had to be checked that they had no criminal records or anything like wise. This would be a natural step, they would only want good honest people to ensure they get minimal hassle. Of course this does not always guarantee that everything will go well hence why they had a police service.

As for the shape of the buildings, the colony would have taken many different resources out with them, and used these to rebuild. They would also have taken all the necessary equipment so that when they found the new world, they would be able to build up there homes and infrastructure realitively easily. If we look forward to the lightspeed team up episode, we can see that there appears to buildings in the background when leo gets attacked and he looks to be standing on a road. We know that the age of the rangers will not have vastly changed and means that these would have been built realitvely quickly. It is also possible that many colony members where required to have a specific skill which would help them in this goal. Of course they would also let those like Bulk and Skull on board to do the much simpler jobs like work in a bar, to provide a little bit of entertainment for the others.

Saint Crispy 11/03/14 10:35 PM

I just started my first watch throduh also, and I wondered these things too. I mean it bothers me that we can walk on the moon without breathing apparatus alittle bit but I suppose when I finish Turbo/Space something will be explained. Otherwise Terra Venture seems alright. I've only seen episodes 1 & 2 so I'll have a better opinion later on.

KrayzCoyote 11/03/14 10:36 PM

Actually, the fact that you can breathe on the moon is never explained. I guess the simple explanation is that in the PR universe, the moon has a breathable atmosphere. Don't think about that too much.

As for Terra Venture, I think others have adequately explained most things about it, but I would add that Terra Venture probably also had sophisticated recycling facilities. After all they didn't know how long they would be out there, and recycling materials would be important. So they likely recycled the destroyed buildings to rebuild them. Maybe they even had facilities for asteroid mining?

PRangerX 11/04/14 04:18 PM

Its funny in "Forever Red" they even had horses on the moon.

MattEmily 11/04/14 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluffyMastr (Post 47341)
Okay, I am midway through my first run of Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, and I am actually enjoying it so far. I think the show has a good premise, and the acting is good enough to keep my interest.

What does bug me is Terra Venture itself. The "space colony" that has daylight, night time, and all forms of weather is just kind of bugging me. I do know WHY they did it (because they wanted to keep with the space theme, and still be able to use Gingaman footage) but did this bug anyone else while they were watching it?

Maybe it is because I am older now, and I have lost that sense of accepting the world as it is within a story without questioning realism.

While you do have a slight point Terra Venture is a space colony with equipment that will control everything. The weather isn't real it's just artificial so no it didn't bug me at all. It would if they didn't explain it but it was explained.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javert (Post 47342)
It actually didn't bug me at all, and I will explain why. It would make sense in an artificial environment, like the domes in Terra Venture, for them to include day and nighttime. They wanted to keep the members of the colony conformable by keeping the environment similar to that of Earth. In that same fashion, they had plants on board the colony. In order for the plants to grow properly they need a specific amount of sunlight. There needed to be a night time to not over expose these plants to too much sunlight. The sunlight may have been artificial, but it served the same purpose. Similarly, Rain would be created to keep these plants alive as well. They probably had a scheduled time for rain, where the colony would create rain from overhead sprinklers, similar to that of what we saw in Corinth City many years later in the episode "Rain".

Exactly it makes sense for them to create artificial time cycles since you're not going to get actual rain or snow anyway. Sun maybe but that would be really weak heat the farther you got from the rays.
Also you're right they likely wanted to keep everyone comfortable since everyone thought they wouldn't be able to return back home ever again. I mean look they even had shops on the colony like for example a shop that sold birthday cakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javert (Post 47342)
There even serves some logical purpose for the other "domes", such as the mountain dome. Different crops require different soils and types of terrains to grow. It would seem logical for a space colony to have some pre-packaged food, but also would bring along farmers and ranchers to have grow crops and raise animals for food. They did not know how long this trip was going to take, and thus had to be prepared that it may be a long journey. Having these different types of terrain would allow them to grow such crops and raise such animals.

Logic or not I don't think that really matters in regards to the various crops since they were probably able to make any kind of material that they wanted to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluffyMastr (Post 47343)
Another thing about Terra Venture that bugs me is the lack of security. We constantly see stowaways and monsters just appear in it.

If we want to play the realism card, how are they able to rebuild the buildings? I mean if it were earth, there would be more supplies, but did this space colony PREPARE to be attacked before the Rangers pulled the Quasar Sabers on Miranoi?

technically security was likely the furthest thing from their mind. Yes sure a lot of them came from Angel Grove, the capital of Monster attacks but most people aren't going to think about being attacked from monsters while out in space. and in the case of thieves it's not like they can go anywhere on a space colony unless they are a monster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javert (Post 47344)
OK, you got me there. I have no idea on the security thing or they can rebuild the buildings. Maybe most of the attacks were in the abandoned warehouse dome.

they probably could rebuild buildings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDLegend (Post 47345)
I think the lack of security in a way is understandable, when you are in space it is highly unlikely that you are going to come under any form of sustained attack. I also assume that the astro megaship was placed on to the ship incase of such emergencies, if anything was going to attack the ship they would send out the megaship as a pre-emptive strike. Another thing is that they did have a police service on board the ship, yet I think we have to remember that when they applied for tickets to go on the ship, they where mostly likely vetted. What I mean here is that they wouldn't let just anyone go on the ship, they probably had to be checked that they had no criminal records or anything like wise. This would be a natural step, they would only want good honest people to ensure they get minimal hassle. Of course this does not always guarantee that everything will go well hence why they had a police service.

The Astro Megaship wasn't placed on the ship that was the Rangers entering into the colony. Now who kept on opening it up for them is unknown but it was docked in a classified area that was likely for specific personnel in GSA only and likely wasn't meant for the Rangers themselves there was just enough room for the Megaship that made it work.
It was more like a military service on board but they were still part of the GSA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDLegend (Post 47345)
As for the shape of the buildings, the colony would have taken many different resources out with them, and used these to rebuild. They would also have taken all the necessary equipment so that when they found the new world, they would be able to build up there homes and infrastructure realitively easily. If we look forward to the lightspeed team up episode, we can see that there appears to buildings in the background when leo gets attacked and he looks to be standing on a road. We know that the age of the rangers will not have vastly changed and means that these would have been built realitvely quickly. It is also possible that many colony members where required to have a specific skill which would help them in this goal. Of course they would also let those like Bulk and Skull on board to do the much simpler jobs like work in a bar, to provide a little bit of entertainment for the others.

I agree with you in regards to the buildings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saint Crispy (Post 47346)
I just started my first watch throduh also, and I wondered these things too. I mean it bothers me that we can walk on the moon without breathing apparatus alittle bit but I suppose when I finish Turbo/Space something will be explained. Otherwise Terra Venture seems alright. I've only seen episodes 1 & 2 so I'll have a better opinion later on.

Nope it won't be explained and anything in regards to the Moon is just a case of there being some atmosphere being out in space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrayzCoyote (Post 47347)
Actually, the fact that you can breathe on the moon is never explained. I guess the simple explanation is that in the PR universe, the moon has a breathable atmosphere. Don't think about that too much.

As for Terra Venture, I think others have adequately explained most things about it, but I would add that Terra Venture probably also had sophisticated recycling facilities. After all they didn't know how long they would be out there, and recycling materials would be important. So they likely recycled the destroyed buildings to rebuild them. Maybe they even had facilities for asteroid mining?

exactly breathable atmosphere so there's no point in even trying to think about it too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRangerX (Post 47386)
Its funny in "Forever Red" they even had horses on the moon.

yes it is but not as funny as Carlos taking a little girl for a ride on his Galaxy Glider while he had protection due to his powers but she didn't.

PRangerX 11/04/14 09:43 PM

Yeah I thought of that too. That was a crazy momment.