Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Hasbro cutting ties with Toei? Power Rangers ending? (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=9126)

PRangerX 02/21/21 01:20 PM

Hasbro cutting ties with Toei? Power Rangers ending?

https://screenrant.com/power-rangers...d-partnership/

This isn't new news of course as its been discussed for month elsewhere. But we don't have a thread for it here.

The talk is that Hasbro is ending its association with Toei and Dino Fury will be the last adaptian of Sentai. And could even be the last live action Power Rangers. It seems they are focusing on the movies. But all this isn't confirmed. I've seen other placed talk about a possible animated series.

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/...gers-animated/

Captain Codfish 02/21/21 01:25 PM

Re: Hasbro cutting ties with Toei? Power Rangers ending?

It would be a shame to see live action end after all these years. But I don't see how they could continue the series if they really do part with Toei. Doing animated series and movies makes the most sense. It wou!d be better if live action continued as is. But if they really are ending the Sentai adaptian its hard to see it continue.

Goldar's Revenge 02/21/21 01:28 PM

The status quo greatly changed once Hasbro bought the franchise. I suppose its not surprising when you think about all the changes Hasbro has made. Power Rangers changing toylines was a big deal. Bandai and Toei are tight. I wonder if that plays a factor?

But it could just be that the cost of adapting Sentai isn't worth it to them...Disney tried to do something like this before they pit the brand on ice. In this case I would assumr Hasbro does produce Power Rangers cartoons and tries to start a movie franchise. They probably figure they can sell just as many toys without the hassle of live action tv.

Ranger Charger 02/21/21 01:29 PM

Its also not impossible live action doesn't come back someday. We saw Power Rangers cancelled for a season before.

VR Master 02/21/21 01:31 PM

But it sounds like Hasbro is going to keep the brand alive rathsr then sit on it like Disney. I doubt Saban buys the series back again to change course.

Usagi Reborn 02/21/21 01:33 PM

Well Disney did do MMPR remastered...But Hasbro's rumored plans feel a lot more ambtious. Lets jot forget the comics. The Power Rangers brand will be active in movies, comics, and quite possibly anination. I do agree it would be a shame to see the end of live action TV.

Miki1988 02/21/21 03:26 PM

Hasbro bought Power Rangers from Saban for a ton of money. They've got to make it happen for them and that's getting their money back AND making some in addition to it.

I don't think Hasbro is going to cancel the live-action show. It's just that they don't think that Sentai adaptations aren't financially plausable anymore for many reasons. Besides, Toei has been making Sentai more Japanese culture-cenrtic in the recent seasons, so there's not many Sentai seasons to adopt anything from. From one side, we do have a one season per two years deal going on and that's 20 episodes a season which means we get to see the same team having their adventures for 2 seasons/years. That's what is giving the Toei people time to make an adaptable Sentai season, but that's not necessarily what happens. Second, even in Sentai with all the experimenting Toei has done in some of the recent seasons, it still ends up in more of the same.

It's understandable that Hasbro wants to move on from the current format and make the Power Rangers franchise more mainstream. They know that adapting Sentai stuff is not going to get them there. So parting with Toei and start doing original designs might actually end up saving & expanding the franchise further.

I doubt that they will give up on the live-action series. I think they are still going to do it, it's just going to be done without the Sentai stuff. Based on what I've read on other boards, Hasbro still wants to do the live-action show for teenagers/adults in addition to the animated TV show for kids. Dino Fury might just be the last entry to the Power Rangers franchise from the current multi-cannon, but it certainly isn't going to be the final entry to it.

That is a good buisness idea/plan/model and the potential for Hasbro to make the franchise expansion that PR really needs and a chance to target two target audiences while making their money back and making a buck in the process. Besides, they want to try and establish Power Rangers as a movie franchise and an original TV series might just get them to doing so, while the animated series might just be something on the side that makes enough additional money to keep things going forward until the movie portion of the franchise isn't properly established. Which seems to be Hasbro's goal and endgame.

PRangerX 02/21/21 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 79923)
Hasbro bought Power Rangers from Saban for a ton of money. They've got to make it happen for them and that's getting their money back AND making some in addition to it.

I don't think Hasbro is going to cancel the live-action show. It's just that they don't think that Sentai adaptations aren't financially plausable anymore for many reasons. Besides, Toei has been making Sentai more Japanese culture-cenrtic in the recent seasons, so there's not many Sentai seasons to adopt anything from. From one side, we do have a one season per two years deal going on and that's 20 episodes a season which means we get to see the same team having their adventures for 2 seasons/years. That's what is giving the Toei people time to make an adaptable Sentai season, but that's not necessarily what happens. Second, even in Sentai with all the experimenting Toei has done in some of the recent seasons, it still ends up in more of the same.

It's understandable that Hasbro wants to move on from the current format and make the Power Rangers franchise more mainstream. They know that adapting Sentai stuff is not going to get them there. So parting with Toei and start doing original designs might actually end up saving & expanding the franchise further.

I doubt that they will give up on the live-action series. I think they are still going to do it, it's just going to be done without the Sentai stuff. Based on what I've read on other boards, Hasbro still wants to do the live-action show for teenagers/adults in addition to the animated TV show for kids. Dino Fury might just be the last entry to the Power Rangers franchise from the current multi-cannon, but it certainly isn't going to be the final entry to it.

That is a good buisness idea/plan/model and the potential for Hasbro to make the franchise expansion that PR really needs and a chance to target two target audiences while making their money back and making a buck in the process. Besides, they want to try and establish Power Rangers as a movie franchise and an original TV series might just get them to doing so, while the animated series might just be something on the side that makes enough additional money to keep things going forward until the movie portion of the franchise isn't properly established. Which seems to be Hasbro's goal and endgame.

Doing the live action series without Senta would be costly. Unless a streaming service is willing to pay them big mony to produce a live action series for older fans?

I can see where Hasbro might feel its less expensive just to produce an animated series to sell the toys. And they can still persue the planned movie franchise.

Goldar Supreme 02/21/21 04:28 PM

Disney actually wanted to go on without live action but they couldn't do an animated series without Toei. I guess circumstances may be different this time.

Jen's Revenge 02/21/21 04:31 PM

Unfortunately, producing live action from Sentai is probably outdated and no longer seen as necessary. It. They can sell just as many toys with cartoons, comics, and movies. Big companies aren't going to have the same affinity for classic pr production as Saban.