PDA

View Full Version : What do you appreciate about each adaptation of SM?

Flower Hurricane
11/18/14, 12:00 PM
We've seen Sailor Moon in many forms, and I think each version of her story brings something new and interesting to the table. I would consider ourselves lucky that one of our favorite series has been reimagined and essentially recreated in so many ways for different fans to enjoy.

What is something you appreciate that is offered by each incarnation of Sailor Moon?

Brace yourselves, for this will be a long post under the spoiler. I may sound silly or a bit vapid, but I just wanted to post something positive. :p

doctorwho29
11/18/14, 12:01 PM
The Manga: The beautiful art is a plus right from the word go. I also enjoy the darkness of it, despite the fact that I had to initially get used to it. The story doesn't pull any punches and treats this like an honest to goodness deadly battle. I enjoy it building the characters up over the various story arcs and making them feel like real people.

The Classic Anime: Many of the filler episodes are a lot of fun and I enjoy how this show can be goofy and dangerous at the same time. While it can seem a little forced at times, I do like the redeposition of some of the villains. It adds more complexity to the show if they aren't just one dimensional evil characters without any soul.

PGSM: To be honest, I've only seen roughly the first fourth of the show but I like what I've seen and read about the later ones. It's not my favorite version of Sailor Moon but I do enjoy spending lots of time with the girls as civilians and how the girls have truly complex character arcs. The reinvention of the Dark Kingdom is fun as well, especially Zoicite.

Sera Myu: I can say little about this as I've only read internet summaries but a few of the shows sound interesting and original. I do like the willingness to try totally new things with the story, sometimes even more radical than PGSM.

The Video Games: I've seen a few of these played on the internet (mostly the side-scrollers) and they're not bad. They look difficult yet satisfying. I also love that one of the games gives us a Saturn transformation. I wonder why that never happened in the show?

Crystal: The art style (even if it does royally goof from time to time) is really nice. I enjoy how they're being faithful to the manga while still being original. Each Soldier even has a slightly unique fuku like in the manga ("rose belts" and triple earrings) While the old attack sequences had a certain charm to them I like how the attacks are now done in real time. It makes the battles feel more real. While I honestly think that we could do with a few extra episodes to further develop the characters I also think the show is doing a pretty good job of that as it is. They feel like real people and I love it. And last but certainly not least...Umino's "Professor Tomoe" sequence