PDA

View Full Version : DiC and Saban Entertainment fued over Cyber Squad

PRangerX
01/20/18, 06:23 PM
An Interesting read. It seems Dic wanted to call SHSS ( Super Human Samurai Sybersquad ) Power Boy. And the lead was going to be Jason Zack. So Saban Entertainment felt like they were violating their trademark.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/power-rangers/260330/when-power-rangers-took-down-superhuman-samurai-syber-squad

MattEmily
01/20/18, 06:45 PM
An Interesting read. It seems Dic wanted to call SHSS ( Super Human Samurai Sybersquad ) Power Boy. And the lead was going to be Jason Zack. So Saban Entertainment felt like they were violating their trademark.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/power-rangers/260330/when-power-rangers-took-down-superhuman-samurai-syber-squad

I remember kinda reading about this and I can see why they thought that but whether they would've won in an actual lawsuit is unknown.

Captain Codfish
01/21/18, 07:44 PM
It probably was easier to change the name then spend money defending a lawsuit. Its not like Power Boy woule have made them anymlre successful.

No Green Spandex
01/21/18, 07:47 PM
Plus you miss out on the excellent theme song.

Ranger Black
01/21/18, 08:04 PM
Seems like an obvious attempt to copy the Power Rangers Formula! We know it always was but you can't be that obvious about it.

Titanium Ghost
01/22/18, 04:54 PM
The weren't the only company that tried to get a slice of the American Toku Pie. Tattooed Teenagers From Beverly Hills was another competitor.

Kat Oliver
01/22/18, 05:04 PM
No one had the staying power of Power Rangers. But who does in this day and age outside of sports?

Captain Codfish
01/23/18, 05:50 PM
I don't blame Saban Enttertainment for being mad. DIC was way too obvious.

MMPR Forever
01/23/18, 09:30 PM
Dic would have been stupid to challenge Saban Entertainment. It was already hard enough to rival MMPR. The only take off and that has come close is Ninja Steel.

Red Spandex Forever
01/24/18, 08:07 AM
I can't picture Super Samurai being called Power Boy.

PRangerX
01/24/18, 08:17 AM
I can't picture Super Samurai being called Power Boy.

Me neither, the Super Samurai name had a certain charm to it. Its a shame that the show only lasted a season .

Saban Fan
01/24/18, 11:59 AM
I could see where that would piss Saban off. Since he worked so hard to create his franchise.

Sentai Snob
01/24/18, 12:13 PM
They should have just called it Gridman and dubbee that series. Or at least adapt the American Gridman stuff as closely as possible. It may have successfully competed with American Sentai then.

Saban Fan
01/24/18, 12:15 PM
They should have just called it Gridman and dubbee that series. Or at least adapt the American Gridman stuff as closely as possible. It may have successfully competed with American Sentai then.

If they would have came to Saban first , he probably would have helped them. It could have been a co-production.

Captain Codfish
01/24/18, 12:19 PM
Dic And Saban Entertainment were competitors, they wouldn't have worked together at that point. Saban was long past just being a company that makes theme music.

Zabitan
01/24/18, 12:33 PM
I remember hearing about that around the time I first found out VR Troopers was going to be called Cybertron but had to change it's name because Hasbro threatened to sue them.

Personally I like the idea of Syber Squad being a competing franchise to Power Rangers, and Saban's Superheroes.

Captain Mutiny
01/24/18, 05:36 PM
Ironically Saban Entertainment had to change the name due to trademark issues with transformers.

Sensei Ranger
01/25/18, 12:14 PM
Didn't Saban do music for some DiC shows?